Luger Killed at Olympics During Test Run

ClayMeow

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow.. there should have been a high wall there to protect them from the beams like that..

yea nets or something.

"it's not the fall that gets ya, it's the sudden stop at the end"...

anonymous ironworker

Two independent investigations are underway, and the IOC won't discuss it until those investigations are done.

And according to NBC News, we're not the only ones wondering why there was no padding around the steel beams.

Two independent investigations are underway, and the IOC won't discuss it until those investigations are done.

And according to NBC News, we're not the only ones wondering why there was no padding around the steel beams.

Like ccokeman said It still wouldn't matter going 90+ MPH, but still that pretty screwed up.

Maybe that corner should have been banked more and less launchpadish?

Like ccokeman said It still wouldn't matter going 90+ MPH, but still that pretty screwed up.

Maybe that corner should have been banked more and less launchpadish?

A thick padding with a decent amount of give would have most likely made a difference. Not saying he wouldn't have been injured, but at least he could have survived.

A thick padding with a decent amount of give would have most likely made a difference. Not saying he wouldn't have been injured, but at least he could have survived.

A 90 MPH impact to the shoulder and base of the skull is not a survivable impact to me. This was not a glancing blow where his flight would have bounced him off of multiple objects but a full on 90 to 0 impact. If you look at where he hit it was at the junction of the neck and shoulder. I dont think the padding would have made that a survivable impact even wit 3 feet of padding around the beam. At best he would most likely have been a paraplegic.

Changes have been made.

Men will now start lower down the track, where the women start.

Ice has been shaved in certain places.

Safety wall put in at Curve 16.

Lowering the start point has slowed it down and made it a lot safer. Apparently there were no crashes in training earlier today, compared to a bunch on all previous days, including by world champions and former gold medal winners.

Luge is on tonight at 12AM ET. Check local listings.

A 90 MPH impact to the shoulder and base of the skull is not a survivable impact to me. This was not a glancing blow where his flight would have bounced him off of multiple objects but a full on 90 to 0 impact. If you look at where he hit it was at the junction of the neck and shoulder. I dont think the padding would have made that a survivable impact even wit 3 feet of padding around the beam. At best he would most likely have been a paraplegic.

While I agree that there should be padding out of principal, I agree too that it's unlikely he would have survived. While I'm no expert on Trauma Kinematics, the whiplash, if not the impact, would have caused severe cervical damage, not to mention likely cranial contusions.

While I agree that there should be padding out of principal, I agree too that it's unlikely he would have survived. While I'm no expert on Trauma Kinematics, the whiplash, if not the impact, would have caused severe cervical damage, not to mention likely cranial contusions.

I suffered a severe concussion skiing several years ago. Anyone who saw it thought I would have been paralyzed, but I wasn't. Point being, you never know how one's body reacts to and recovers from impact and injuries.

Regardless, as I posted above, they've now added a safety wall, so if someone god forbid crashes, they won't be heading toward the steel beams, which is how it should have been all along.