Unlocked my 5870

Queenz

As some of you guys know that the stock clocks of the 5870 are 850 core and 1200 Memory. The ati catalyst control center in the overdrive section only allows you to do a max clock of 900 core and 1300 memory. Well now you can go beyond that by unlocking it and flashing any 5870 with the MSI BIOS. I currently own an XFX 5870 and did it and this is how:

You will need to download a few things:

* -HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool

* -HP USB Boot Files

* -ATI Flash

* -MSI BIOS

* -MSI AfterBurner

* -ATI Catalyst 10.1 Suite select your OS

* -GPU-Z

Now you will need a USB drive and know how to boot on a USB drive

* -Install and run HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool.

* -Select the USB Drive. In the "File system" drop down box, pick FAT32. click "Quick Format" and "Create a DOS startup disk, using DOS system files located at" then "..." and direct it to the extracted HP Boot Files folder and click Start

* -Once that's done, copy the extracted ATI Flash files and MSI BIOS to the USB drive.

* -Rename the MSI BIOS from MSI_R5850_unlock.A11 to MSI.A11

* -Load GPU-Z and click the green arrow to the right of BIOS version and click save file. This makes a backup of your current BIOS

* -Uninstall everything ATI and Nvidia from your computer except Nvidia Physx

* -Restart your computer and boot from USB drive

* -Once DOS loads you should see C:\ now type atiflash -f -p 0 MSI.A11

* -When its done it will ask you to restart or do it for you

* -When Windows loads it will recognize a new video card

* -Install ATI Catalyst 10.1 Suite

* -Install MSI AfterBurner if you wish to overclock

If you are going to overclock you can now use MSI AfterBurner to adjust your voltage were before you couldn't and gpu/memory settings to higher levels than ATI Overdrive would allow.

I dont hold responsibilty for any damages. This will void your warranty should you try to RMA with the MSI BIOS on the card. If you ever need to RMA your 5870, you can reflash with the backup you made earlier should you experience any problems.

I'm on water so my 5870 is watercooled :). Temps are a sweet 31 degrees idle and 47 degrees load!!

Here is a little taste of that:

1000 Core / 1300 Memory

gpuoc2.png

Edited by Queenz

You can also use AMD GPU clock tool to go above the limits in CCC. Use Afterburner to set the fan speed while on air cooling.

AMD gpu clock tool makes my computer crash after OCing it during GPU stress test

but but but MSI Afterburner's pretty (and I'm officially labeling it the "EVGA Precision Tool" for ATI)

Earlier today I undervolted my 4870x2 since it can't overclock so why not try and cool it down while making it more efficient. Seems the best stable low I could go was 1.15v from the stock 1.262v

How come you can't see voltage settings without the MSI bios?? My 4870x2 is a Diamond one and I can see voltage settings for it :blink: