Smoking around your apple will void your warranty

cirro

Now that I'm awake again and thinking more clearly, I won't attack Apple needlessly. I shall support them in this. Smoking is a FAR worse waste of money

But it makes me not kill people...

Recently i have quite smoking, like 3weeks have passed and not a cig. Hmm, so any way, i don't think Apple working situations are so hazardous like working with radiations or something:). Work comes first, reasons to make profit later out of silly reasons :)

While I agree with you, it should be said in the TOS... otherwise, you guys are still in the US, people sue for all sorts of rubbish over there...

Something like this could easily fall under user neglect.

afraid to get your hands dirty? :P i'd never turn down work over such a trivial matter!

Not at all. :P Though if I'm going to get my hands dirty, there are far better alternatives. ;) Though to be honest, I'd rather not get the crap on myself, my clothes, my tools, my desk, inside my house, etc. nor would I want to spend the time in someone else's house who smokes to take care of it... I'll gladly pass up a job to work on a system like this, I don't need the $20-250 that much.

Unless your are sucking all the crap up and swallowing it, its not going to be detrimental to your health. You house air probably has more pathogens and carcinogens than what you would breath from cleaning the computer.

If you can smell it, you are inhailing it. Toxisisity aside, it can cause issues for people with allergies and asthma.

Occasionally, I don't get what you are saying though.

I'm saying just put your craft to good use haha, maybe "remove" some of the tobacco CEO's :D

Something like this could easily fall under user neglect.

Not at all. :P Though if I'm going to get my hands dirty, there are far better alternatives. ;) Though to be honest, I'd rather not get the crap on myself, my clothes, my tools, my desk, inside my house, etc. nor would I want to spend the time in someone else's house who smokes to take care of it... I'll gladly pass up a job to work on a system like this, I don't need the $20-250 that much.

If you can smell it, you are inhailing it. Toxisisity aside, it can cause issues for people with allergies and asthma.

They need to offer the Appledoesn'tCare warranty haha

if you can smell it, your face is apparently too close

or

your not in a well ventilated area.

this is dust. this is a joke. people work in coal mines, fibreglass shops and deal with 1000X worse things.

if your that scared of dust to pass up on 20$-250$ of work (only a mac user could quote $250 for cleaning lol)

then find a different job you can handle inside of your giant plastic bubble.

this is such a joke i mean... are we adults here? im sure anyone that has had a real working class job would laugh at the scares of dust

or

this is dust. this is a joke. people work in coal mines, fibreglass shops and deal with 1000X worse things.

if your that scared of dust to pass up on 20$-250$ of work (only a mac user could quote $250 for cleaning lol)

this is such a joke i mean... are we adults here? im sure anyone that has had a real working class job would laugh at the scares of dust

:withstupid: Some people think if they walk by someone smoking they are going to catch cancer, while the air we breath is full of carcinogenics...

or

You don't have to be that close to smell smoke odor if your use to not smelling it.

Even when a smoker walks by and he isn't smoking you can smell his smoke trail that comes off his clothes for a short period of time.

I suppose in this case it was possible that the tech was very sensitive to the smoke smell and couldn't handle working around the computer but if that were the case why wouldn't he just pass the computer to someone else who wasn't bothered by the smell?

What probably happened is the tech was lazy or looking for any reason possible to void warranty's and he just used the smoke smell as an excuse not to work on the computer.

Ive cleaned out quite a few pc's/consoles and saw that brown sticky residue you guys are on about.Its like dust with glue mixed in or something.If the op's macbook had that stuff all inside it,i can see why apple where reluctant to cover him.Otherwise,its a pretty poor excuse.Ive never owned a macbook anyways,and i dont intend to.

It has nothing to do with dust. I simply don't want to work on a system, Apple or otherwise, where the system has been used in a smokers home. I don't want to deal with the tar build up... I also refuse to work on systems owned by restaurants that have fryers... just like tar build up, the grease builds up inside the system.

I'm not justifying the Apple tech's response of "health risks of second hand smoke" as justification for not repairing the system. Like I said earlier, it sounds more like a warranty violation due to user neglect or abuse.

And it isn't $250 for a cleaning... the discussion is about working on a system, in the case of the original Apple system it was overheating due to what appeared to be a bad fan. I've spent many years working on systems for people and business, and there is a lot of headache that goes into that. My time is important to me so yeah, I charge $250 per hour to work on someone's system... more if they want me to do an onsite visit. People are willing to pay it, and it helps cut down on the piddily crap. But that is really a completely different topic.