My first rig

Ringtail

Awesome, I did not know that. So the 1600MHz listed on the box is the recommended maximum, which will likely be plenty. I have little understanding of how to OC RAM so I don't know what those ratios are, I've mainly been researching how to OC the i7.

well not the maximum but going higher than that won't be of much beneficial use nor is there any noticable loss of performance if the memory is a little under it's stock spec

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is a great i5 build which I believe is more suited to what you are doing (gaming, light photo and/or video editing, surfing the net) it costs $300 less because it only needs 2 sticks of ram and the mobos are cheaper, and it is still very very very powerful. The ram has really good timings 7-8-7-24 and runs at 1600mhz, the processor is very similar to the i7 920 except it doesn't have hyper threading which you probably wouldn't use anyways cause it adds a some of heat and most programs don't use it. With the money you saved getting an i5 you could buy a 5970 instead of a 5870 (though in my photo I picked a 5870 to show the price). You could also buy a 5870 fairly quickly I would think since you would already have $300 towards it (though it would be $100-$200 more expensive then getting a 5970).

neweggcomonceyouknowyou.png

On ram and overclocking. okay lets say you have everything at stock settings, your base clock is 133 and your ram multiplier is 12 so the ram is running at ~1600Mhz. If you overclock the base clock to 190 and don't touch the ram multiplier then the ram would be set to run at 1900Mhz so you would either have to loosen the timings or increase the voltages (which I don't like doing on ram since the performance gains are minimal) or set the multiplier to something the would cause the ram to run at less then or equal to 1600Mhz for example a ram multiplier of 8 would have the ram at 1520Mhz which is within spec and good to go. This is how I like to set my memory since it works and ram hardly matters anyway.

Edited by xchrissypoox

I very much appreciate your going out of your way to set up an entire second build for me. That was more than just advice and I'm thankful for that, but reading the article on Intel's release of the i7 a while back is why I decided to overclock my own built computer, so it's a point I will illogically stick to. Thanks for the ram info, :)

A message I replied a little ago to another user:

I think you should get a modular PSU: forget the cable management :thumbs-up: Cables are just a headache :smack: And be sure to get a Core i7 920 D0 SLBEJ or newer ^_^

:rolleyes:

A message I replied a little ago to another user:

:rolleyes:

I would, but I cannot get a decent modular unit without throwing another $70 or so into the game, and considering I'm still looking to shed $90 from the current, I cannot make the investment. Also I'll be using a Thermaltake Element G case, so cable management all goes behind the motherboard tray, which is very good also for bundling unused cables and managing used ones.

And how do I know/where can I find a 920 D0 SLBEJ?

-edit I see there is a BX80601920 model number 920 that is what you say and one that is not. I do not see how I can tell through the store though. The non-slebj ones have apparently been discontinued http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=37147

Edited by Ringtail

And how do I know/where can I find a 920 D0 SLBEJ?

-edit I see there is a BX80601920 model number 920 that is what you say and one that is not. I do not see how I can tell through the store though. The non-slebj ones have apparently been discontinued http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=37147

I think most are slbej now but if you don't want to accidently get D0 then microcenter sells i7 920s for $200 but you have to buy them in person (not online), guess you didn't go for my i5 suggestion?

I think most are slbej now but if you don't want to accidently get D0 then microcenter sells i7 920s for $200 but you have to buy them in person (not online), guess you didn't go for my i5 suggestion?

Sorry, I didn't. It makes perfect sense but if the i9 was out I'd insist on that, X3 That's the part I built the rest around so I'm attached.

Is there some kind of promo going on? A $80 discount is huge!!! I'll need to get someone I know in Columbus, OH to grab one for me then, since I'm no where near any stores. How long is this sale?