My first rig

Ringtail

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the info! How well does this ram overclock? I was looking for ram that could get close to if not hit 2000MHz sometime down the road which is how I heard of kingston's hyperx in the first place..

probably not very well since it already has high timings, but there isn't really a need for 2000Mhz ram that I know of, it doesn't improve framerates. If you want 2000Mhz ram I recommend buying 2000Mhz ram instead of overclocking, here is a set with decent timings (actually I would take these over those kingstons). But I think you should just get some decent 1600Mhz ram like what IVI posted.

probably not very well since it already has high timings, but there isn't really a need for 2000Mhz ram that I know of, it doesn't improve framerates. If you want 2000Mhz ram I recommend buying 2000Mhz ram instead of overclocking, here is a set with decent timings (actually I would take these over those kingstons). But I think you should just get some decent 1600Mhz ram like what IVI posted.

Huh.. I didn't know that. I had read a review of kingston's hyperx 1600MHz here that when pulled up to 1900MHz squeezed 8-11 more fps than previous. Feel free to call me an idiot, but where is the data bottleneck then that can increase fps?

Memory never holds back performance unless you get memory that can't scale up with processors base clock/fsb. The patriots would be fine because you wouldn't need more than 1600mhz, though you could look at reviews on them and see what they achieved just for S's and G's

Memory never holds back performance unless you get memory that can't scale up with processors base clock/fsb. The patriots would be fine because you wouldn't need more than 1600mhz, though you could look at reviews on them and see what they achieved just for S's and G's

Thanks for the info, :) so how would I know if I had a setup and the ram wasn't keeping up in that case? Is there any other unneeded excesses you notice in my choice of components?

wat is your budget?

and if ur budget is enough, i would say add a SSD in there

they are significantly faster than the blacks

So far my budget is $90 less than what this is totaling with the Patriot RAM IVI suggested. I am going to put in an SSD when I later have funds.

Thanks for the info, :) so how would I know if I had a setup and the ram wasn't keeping up in that case? Is there any other unneeded excesses you notice in my choice of components?

I meant overclocking since memory would normally just run in it's stock specs. But in an intel system the memory speed would have to rise to raise up the CPU's clocks (same goes for none black edition amds)

Alright, so the memory speed fluctuates with the CPU's speed, makes sense. And you're saying that 1600MHz will be enough? I do intend to overclock the i7 to around 3.7GHz at some point. Also, what are S's and G's?

Alright, so the memory speed fluctuates with the CPU's speed, makes sense. And you're saying that 1600MHz will be enough? I do intend to overclock the i7 to around 3.7GHz at some point.

yeah since you can always change the way the memory speed is calculated from the base clock/fsb, it's only a handful of different ratios to choose from but you could start at say 1333mhz and work up wherever you work up (in my case I am at 1000mhz, using the lowest ratio I had access to)

Also, what are S's and G's?

*hit's and Giggles lol

Awesome, I did not know that. So the 1600MHz listed on the box is the recommended maximum, which will likely be plenty. I have little understanding of how to OC RAM so I don't know what those ratios are, I've mainly been researching how to OC the i7.