eReaders

d3bruts1d

eBook Readers / eReaders  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Do you own an eReader?

• Read? Books? Who has time for that?
    • You'll never get me away from the paper books!
    • I think it is a cool concept, but not compelling enough to buy.
    • I've not got one yet, but it is pretty tempting.
    • Just waiting on a paycheck, birthday money, or gift from a holiday that occurs in late Dec.
    • Currently using software on my phone, smartphone, or similar device (e.g. iPod Touch or Zune).
    • Waiting for the Kindle software on my PC/Mac.
    • I'll stick with downloadable books in PDFs.
    • I currently have a Kindle.
    • I currently have a non-Kindle eReader. Let us know which one!
    • What the heck is this poll about?

Hopefully everyone is still here after the release of Windows 7. ;) Thanks to everyone who voted in last week's poll.

This week, we wanted to know your feelings about eReaders. For those of you that haven't paid a lot of attention lately, it has been an active month in the eReader world:

Do you have an eReader? Plan on getting one? Sticking to the old fashion paper stuff? Let us know!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I struck up a conversation with a guy at the airport a couple of weeks ago who was using a Kindle and he was pointing out all the neat features and it did sound compelling, but I just can't justify the price. Besides, I am old enough to still appreciate the feel of a real book in my hands as I read.

I chose:

"Just waiting on a paycheck, birthday money, or gift from a holiday that occurs in late Dec."

When I get enough spending money to splurge on a 300 item it will be a toss up between a completely unnecessary 25"+ monitor or a completely unnecessary but more compelling ereader.

Technically I have an iPhone I could use, and I even downloaded the "Stanza" application, however, I voted for "You'll never get me away from the paper books!", mainly because I don't have to pay for them. My aunt gets a lot of books, then passes it on to my dad, and then I take whichever ones I feel like reading. I don't read much, so there's always plenty to choose from, and my dad has the same taste in books as I do, so he recommends stuff to me that he knows I would like.

I probably wouldn't buy up a standalone eReader device. Maybe another device that provides plenty of other functions I would.

If I got one as a gift I would definitely use it.

Textbooks are so heavy. Especially when you need to carry multiple textbooks. Hopefully in the future Microsoft's Courier is cheap and textbook publishers will sell eTextbooks even cheaper. That would be my multi-function device or a netbook.

Edited by Krazyxazn

As a college student I feel e-Readers are the way of the future. It is a great way to compress many books into one slim tablet that can be used anywhere. You also don't have to worry about torn pages from usage. I am imagining when I finally have all of my college textbooks in one Kindle reader etc.

I just can't justify it even existing. Read books people. Everything is so digitalized these days, leave the books alone.

Why carry a book that is maybe 2 inches thick and only contains one book?

When you can carry something that is less than 1 inch thick and has multiple books, articles, newspapers, magazines, personal pdf, and etc. There is a reason why these exists. If I had extra money I would go and buy one now and replace all my paper novels and textbooks.

Although I doubt eBooks will sell as cheap as used novels in the $1 bins.