Sign in to follow this  
d3bruts1d

eReaders

eBook Readers / eReaders  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Do you own an eReader?

• Read? Books? Who has time for that?
    • You'll never get me away from the paper books!
    • I think it is a cool concept, but not compelling enough to buy.
    • I've not got one yet, but it is pretty tempting.
    • Just waiting on a paycheck, birthday money, or gift from a holiday that occurs in late Dec.
    • Currently using software on my phone, smartphone, or similar device (e.g. iPod Touch or Zune).
    • Waiting for the Kindle software on my PC/Mac.
    • I'll stick with downloadable books in PDFs.
    • I currently have a Kindle.
    • I currently have a non-Kindle eReader. Let us know which one!
    • What the heck is this poll about?

Why carry a book that is maybe 2 inches thick and only contains one book?

When you can carry something that is less than 1 inch thick and has multiple books, articles, newspapers, magazines, personal pdf, and etc. There is a reason why these exists. If I had extra money I would go and buy one now and replace all my paper novels and textbooks.

Although I doubt eBooks will sell as cheap as used novels in the $1 bins.

I just think the written word on paper is important.

I just think the written word on paper is important.

it is, but mass produced killing of trees to produce the copies isn't important. I think the master version should have a physical state but there's no reason to make all the books that will get old/ rip/tear/dent/water/damage.

This is about portability, efficiency, and convenience.

I voted "I've not got one yet, but it is pretty tempting."

Since I'd love to have one but I don't A. Read enough where I'd need on yet, B. Referring to A, they aren't in a price range where I'd buy them without question and would like to demo one in person a little bit before I'd drop some money on it

Without more consumer protection guarantees I'll never buy one. If Amazon can remotely erase books after purchase then I can't make any purchase from them with any sense of ownership. I'll pass on it personally. I still purchase books on a regular basis and will continue to do so. I can see where it may be a good idea from a student perspective with textbooks.

I think they both have a place in our world. Readers would be great for most textbooks, tech manuals, and people on the go. But I've spent more than one afternoon just browsing through a bookstore (remember them?) looking for a book I want to purchase, and enjoyed every minute I was there. If I'm taking a 3 or 4 hour plane trip, a reader would be the ticket, but if I'm sitting on a warm beach somewhere I'd much rather do it with a cold beer and a book. somehow, settling in for a dark winter evening with a Kindle? just isn't quite as appealing as a real paper book. I'm sure, that eventually paper books will become a luxury that only the wealthy can afford, just as they were a couple hundred years or so ago. they can take my books when they pry them from my cold dead fingers.

I think they both have a place in our world. Readers would be great for most textbooks, tech manuals, and people on the go. But I've spent more than one afternoon just browsing through a bookstore (remember them?) looking for a book I want to purchase, and enjoyed every minute I was there. If I'm taking a 3 or 4 hour plane trip, a reader would be the ticket, but if I'm sitting on a warm beach somewhere I'd much rather do it with a cold beer and a book. somehow, settling in for a dark winter evening with a Kindle? just isn't quite as appealing as a real paper book. I'm sure, that eventually paper books will become a luxury that only the wealthy can afford, just as they were a couple hundred years or so ago. they can take my books when they pry them from my cold dead fingers.

That is a really good point. Who would want to read a kindle on the beach?

Who would want to read a kindle on the beach?
I would, but then again I'm a geek...

I wouldnt mind having one but since I do a lot of my reading at work (Im a cashier and slow days are boring as fu..) I think they would frown on an e-reading even more than a book.

Edited by SMeeD

I want one, but I still prefer paper-back books. Why? Because I can write notes in the margins and make reference points in the book. I feel it'd be a bit tough to do that in an e-reader.

I want one, but I still prefer paper-back books. Why? Because I can write notes in the margins and make reference points in the book. I feel it'd be a bit tough to do that in an e-reader.

You can do those with an eReader too. The eReader software I have on my Nintendo DS can let you bookmark, create notes, and link references.

Although it might be faster and easier to just use pen/pencil on the book, but the option is there for eReaders.

Edited by Krazyxazn

Paper books FTW... I hate reading manga online.

yeah but if you had a ereader it wouldn't be online :P

Although, I'm probably part of the generation most likely to adopt this technology I'm still fond of the feeling of having an actual book in my hands when i'm reading. There's something about it that adds to the experience of a really good book. Knowing that in the past 10-15-20-25 centuries people reading books have done it in the same fashion as you are doing it now.