where is the 5870x2

Caddy Daddy

In my 3DMark Vantage scores a single 5870 was close to a pair of 4890s. A pair of 5870s was about 7000 points more than a pair of 4890s. Those are synthetic benchmarks of course. It was the same i7 platform but I couldn't overclock the single 5870 beyond the CCC limits at the time I tested it and I never pushed the 4890s to their limits either. The pair of 5870s I was able to overclock to near their limits with AMD GPU clock tool and MSI Afterburner. So there were some variables in my scores to take into account.

There is also a quirk in the 5870 scoring that hasn't been figured out yet. You can overclock them and easily score lower. There is a sweet spot that you have to find. After several runs it's my opinion that this scoring discrepency is outside of the normal statistical anomoly found running 3DMark Vantage. I can set the core/memory to 1000/1300 and score lower than setting them to 975/1300. It's about a 1000 point difference nearly every time I run it. The sweet spot for mine was 975/1325.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought it was supposed to be out the 23rd. I have no idea where I got that date from though.

windows 7 debut :shrug:

I'd say the 5970 will perform as good as 3 perfectly scaling 4870s or higher. Since a 5870 performs like 1.7ish or better (in relation to the 4870x2)

Edited by IVIYTH0S

windows 7 debut :shrug:

That could be it. Way too many new debuts here lately for me to keep track of.

Would I be stupid, crazy, and unethical if I bought 2 5870x2s? What if I bought 6 and sent 4 to Somalia? Would that lighten the load from my soul?

That could be it. Way too many new debuts here lately for me to keep track of.

Would I be stupid, crazy, and unethical if I bought 2 5870x2s? What if I bought 6 and sent 4 to Somalia? Would that lighten the load from my soul?

then I'm taking an intercept mission to Somalia for the day LOL

lol prediction.. when they are out... they will be sold out in less then 30 mins every brand

that's how the 5870, and 5850 went lol. They better be affordable though (IE: less then the 295) and they will sell like hotcakes