9600GT seems to have died...

GabrielT

A few monthes ago my mom was using my computer and she set the 9600s fan speed to zero by accident with while I was folding. It ran for about 2 days at 105c but seemed to have had no immediate damage after I reset the fan.

My computer has been locking up every now and then and I figured it was a software issue so I tried to diagnose it with no luck. Today I was just cruisin the web and the screen went red for a second and then black while the comp appeared to keep running. Upon restart it posted just fine and ran for around 15 minutes and same thing happened. While it was running the screen looked just a bit off, colors were just a bit weird and edges were not sharp. I took out the card and am running on my on board card.

I am going to see if it continues running through the night and if it does I figure I will pick up a 9600GSO from newegg for $50.

If anyone has any ideas speak up please.

Well I found the problem, one popped cap and one bulging one. Time to order a 9600GSO found an ASUS, I found one for $60 with a $20 rebate.

DSCF0718.jpg?t=1255219022

Edited by gabrieltessin

Why not just replace the caps? Just measure their capacitance with your multimeter, go buy their equivalent at your local electronics store, take out your iron and get it repaired!

:withstupid: a nice alternative if RMA via serial number is a dead end

Why not just replace the caps? Just measure their capacitance with your multimeter, go buy their equivalent at your local electronics store, take out your iron and get it repaired!

It's not as simple with solids (and I kinda doubt that locals will have anything other than ceramics or electrolytics) - they don't have much capacitance but they are much faster/reactant at filtering (ripple?)... You'd have to get find an equivalent spec solid cap and mail order it.