+Rep to Microsoft

tkrow21

I bought a refurbished Xbox 360 Elite about a month and a half ago for $200 and it worked for about a week before I got the E74 error.

I e-mailed Microsoft and without any questions, they sent an e-mail with the UPS Label. I send it to Microsoft, and about a week later, it gets there. Within six hours it's on its way back to my house. I was pretty pissed, because I assumed that they hadn't repaired my console because somehow they deemed it operational.

When I get it back, I noticed that the refurbished sticker is gone, and sure enough, it's a new unit. I also got a free month of live for my "troubles".

So while Microsoft might not be producing a long-lasting unit, they are going above and beyond to fix that mistake.

That's one thing I do like about Microsoft. Sure the Xbox doesn't win in reliability but they are there to cover that flaw and they do it in a timely fashion. Most people that hate the Xbox 360 I believe hate it blindly or were too lazy to call in to get it fixed, just a thought :rolleyes:

Thats most interesting, i bought my xbox 360 Elite 12 months back NEW. I got graphical glitches while playing a game one day, and after restarting the console i got the e74 too. I sent off for a replacement/return and i was emaild a label, but i too have heard the rumors (about the problem re-occurring), and i didnt want to wait a possibility of over a month, so i decided to repair the fault myself (this is a week ago now). However the fix is apparently only a temporary one as i keep getting the e74 error back :( i doubt microsoft will be so gracious to me as they were to you as i have opened up my console. Keep me updated VIA a pm if you get the e74 again, its such a persistant bugger, i currently have to resort to using the towel trick (but only while gaming, after a while the glitches dissapear and i can play normally) :angry: good luck with the replacement though! :)

Edited by SenitaL

But I've heard of people saying they got the same broken Xbox 360 back or they just never heard from Microsoft again.

I've never heard of that. Everyone I've talked to/heard about has had theirs replaced for free (sometimes even when they were out of warranty).

Microsoft usually replaces it for free. If it's something as common as the E74. They wanted me to pay $150 to fix the faulty/dead GPU in my 360. So I just got it replaced from Wal-Mart instead. Funny, because I was the one who had to go take it in to get replaced when I hadn't used it for half a year. My brother borrowed it and said I'll give it back by Thanksgiving. I didn't get it till mid next year lol.

• 2 weeks later...

I've heard the XBOX360 breaks a lot more than the PS3. Is this true, I mean I had to get my PS3 repaired for a broken blu-ray drive and they sent me a brand new console in about 3-4 weeks. I thought that was good.

I've heard the XBOX360 breaks a lot more than the PS3. Is this true, I mean I had to get my PS3 repaired for a broken blu-ray drive and they sent me a brand new console in about 3-4 weeks. I thought that was good.

idk ive never had good luck with sony playstations, i take good care of my stuff.. and my ps1 and ps2 both sucked bawls and broke in some way... ive never had any bad luck with xbox's the origonal or 360, but that was enough to make me not want a ps3.. the only thing id use on it is blu ray anyways

I bought a refurbished Xbox 360 Elite about a month and a half ago for $200 and it worked for about a week before I got the E74 error.

I e-mailed Microsoft and without any questions, they sent an e-mail with the UPS Label. I send it to Microsoft, and about a week later, it gets there. Within six hours it's on its way back to my house. I was pretty pissed, because I assumed that they hadn't repaired my console because somehow they deemed it operational.

When I get it back, I noticed that the refurbished sticker is gone, and sure enough, it's a new unit. I also got a free month of live for my "troubles".

So while Microsoft might not be producing a long-lasting unit, they are going above and beyond to fix that mistake.

They've just steamlined their operations since most xbox 360s fail, I would assume most RMAs to other places take longer because some of the time people are dumb and nothings wrong but in the case of xbox it is so common and why would anyone lie anyway?