Whats the diffrence between these cards? +Whats a good card for $

Assassin X

lol thx for the replies. Sorry I forgot specs! I updated them below! (yeah I have to upgrade some parts still). So it loosk like people are split between the one I picked and a 4850.

Here is the slots I have. The bottom is PCI-E I think. The 3 above I am not sure. If they are any good can I do double cards? If so whats a good combo? hat ATI/PHYS?

slotsk.jpg

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh right. I have a 21 inch HD LCD widescreen now. But am getting something much bigger near the end of the year. Res? It dosen't really matter to me. I use to always play 800x600 since my old computer sucked. Now I plan on going on high as possible with max setting as possible. Game wise I tend to play FPS's. Then onto RTS's and RPG's.

Oh right. I have a 21 inch HD LCD widescreen now. But am getting something much bigger near the end of the year. Res? It dosen't really matter to me. I use to always play 800x600 since my old computer sucked. Now I plan on going on high as possible with max setting as possible. Game wise I tend to play FPS's. Then onto RTS's and RPG's.

If that's the case, you should be looking at minimum 4870 / 260.

A 9800 is not going to cut it at high res.

PhysX support, nearly comparable performance to a 4830 (which isn't far from the 4850), etc.

it isn't far, but I'd still pick the better performance of the 4850 for cheaper than be able to play a small portion physx only games for more money. It'll last longer than the 9800GT too.

Edited by IVIYTH0S

Well I was gonna get that 4870 but they didn't have it in stock where I went and I kinda need a card by Friday for something. They do have this, what do you think, its a 3650 that looks like it has a special fan piece?:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1218069452028

And while I am there I am getting this power supply:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1218045945842

So does that all look good to you guys? I think it looks pretty good. I am probably getting a nice big *** CPU fan/heatsink too since my CPU (with the current fans) runs about 51c.

hmm since you're looking at best buy i'm gonna guess you live in the US so got to http://www.newegg.com/ for all your tech needs because bestbuy is way over priced

I concur, BB is way way way overpriced. If you got Newegg with fast shipping you'd probably still break even with BB lol

Dont buy any pc parts from BestBuy. Definitely buy from newegg.

as for a card, get the 4850 or 4870, whichever you can afford.

As for PSU, look for Corsair, Pc Power & Cooling, OCZ etc. Only get a big name brand.

Don't forget Antec, Enermax and BFG PSU's too!!

Thx to everyones input, heres my for the most part my final rig. Specs below in sig! Currently without to much tweaking (and in its crappy small case) the CPU when doing minor things runs at 32c! The GPU runs at around...um. I haven't really checked yet!:

-Quad Core AMD Phenom X4 9750

-Heatsink/CPU cooler (pretty dang huge) (temp at 32c when nothing running!)

-ATI RADEON HD 4850 1GB DDR3 PCI Express Graphics Card

-8GB Ram

-CD/DVD-DL Lightsribe writer (Bluray soon)

-650 Watt Antec Power Supply.

-750 Gig HD (250 gig addon soon)

-750 Backup MyBook

-Windows Vista. (maybe Win 7)

-G9X Mouse (got for $35!)

-NOW have 9 Fans (mostly Powercooler)

-A basic sound card (for now)

-Tons of ports

BTW heres a pic of my case. Yes I know it looks kinda thrown together. I really had to improvise on some things for such a lame case. Got to admit the fans were crafty hanging like that! And they don't budge! They each aim at the video card which is what I wanted: (except for bottom ones which suck out CPU heat):

hppcsep092.jpg w800.png

hppcsep093.jpg w800.png

hppcsep09.jpg w800.png

Edited by Assassin X

CPU is around 32c, if I use my box fan just for fun on high it goes lower, mind you that with no games running.

GPU is at 37c normally. Although in games it heats up depending. So far there isn't a game I can't play.

For kicks I downloaded the Crysis demo and ran it full specs, got a minor frame drop to about 25ish FPS for a few seconds during a ingame cutscene in the jungle. Other then that no real problems!