Intel Core i5 750 Core i7 870 Reviewed

Bosco

Its only cheaper at Micro Center, look at newegg. Compared to the 955, I think the 955 is the better choice for gaming. It is cheaper(Newegg, not everyone has a Microcenter next to their house) and performs almost the same, and even the good Mobo's are cheaper than the P55's. Also, you aren't forced to go with DDR3 which is overpriced and useless.

I am pretty sure the Phenom II's were not meant for doing RAR files and things like that, I think the Opterons were meant for that, correct me if I am wrong :unsure:

I agree both have their place, but chip vs chip alone, the 750 is awesome. Phenom II's not being meant to do RAR files is no excuse, I don't want a processor that's only good for one thing....It's a Central Processing Unit, meaning that it should do everything it possibly can, at the best it possibly can, not skimp out on certain things. Similarly how the graphics cards are really powerful but can only be used in a handful of ways (though they become more capable of new things every day)

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Its only cheaper at Micro Center, look at newegg. Compared to the 955, I think the 955 is the better choice for gaming. It is cheaper(Newegg, not everyone has a Microcenter next to their house) and performs almost the same, and even the good Mobo's are cheaper than the P55's. Also, you aren't forced to go with DDR3 which is overpriced and useless.

I am pretty sure the Phenom II's were not meant for doing RAR files and things like that, I think the Opterons were meant for that, correct me if I am wrong :unsure:

Lets see a chip that at stock speeds equals the performance of a CPU clocked almost 800MHz higher is a win in my book. When you look at the tests that are not speed dependent the i5 is as good as the 965 and 955. Who says DDR3 is overpriced and useless? the set I used in the review retails for 103 bucks for 4gb. Nd if you must know will run timings tighter than the tested latencies. You can put together a motherboard/cpu/ memory combo for around $400 depending on your choices of manufacturer. That is a far cry from the 650 or higher it takes to get into a 1366 socket Nehalem

Lets see a chip that at stock speeds equals the performance of a CPU clocked almost 800MHz higher is a win in my book. When you look at the tests that are not speed dependent the i5 is as good as the 965 and 955. Who says DDR3 is overpriced and useless? the set I used in the review retails for 103 bucks for 4gb. Nd if you must know will run timings tighter than the tested latencies. You can put together a motherboard/cpu/ memory combo for around $400 depending on your choices of manufacturer. That is a far cry from the 650 or higher it takes to get into a 1366 socket Nehalem

When was this i5 against i7? We were talking about 955 vs. i5 750(The AMD one, which also sometimes beats the best i7's, what the heck?)

You can get a Phenom II for much less than the i5 and still have similar performance. As I said before, Intel is getting better with their pricing, but it hasn't convinced me to stick with them yet.

a chip that at stock speeds equals the performance of a CPU clocked almost 800MHz higher

Let's not forget that Turbo actually overclocks it at the 955's speed in single-thread apps... But yeah you're quite right in that it's amazing how they do so much with a lower clock.

When was this i5 against i7? We were talking about 955 vs. i5 750(The AMD one, which also sometimes beats the best i7's, what the heck?)

You can get a Phenom II for much less than the i5 and still have similar performance. As I said before, Intel is getting better with their pricing, but it hasn't convinced me to stick with them yet.

you are running an intel sir.... lol

The Opterons are the exact same chips in nearly every way.

The AMD chips ALL fail at the RAR tests (and anything HDD dependent) because the AMD southbridge has a completely borked version of AHCI...which effectively cripples it compared to Intel chipsets that actually work like they are supposed to. :P

I didnt test with turbo mode FYI!

:blink: If that's true...then damn, the 750 looks even better!

If I turned on Turbo mode the scores would swing decidedly in favor of the Intels once the clock speed is equalized. There will not be any question at that point.

I assume you left it off since it will max out at different speeds for different chips of the same type. Right?