Xbox 360 gfx VS PC gfx

00stevo

Hi all,i'll get straight to the point.

Why does an xbox 360 seem to produce gfx better than my pc? (correct me if im wrong) An xbox 360 has a x1950 gfx card inside it,and whilst its a good card,shouldnt my HD4850 demolish it? I just tried cod 5 @1920x1080 and it was lagging a bit,so i had to drop down to 1680x1050,but doesnt the 360 play it at 1080p with no lag? If so,how can a lesser gfx card outperform mine? And if a PS3 has a 7800gtx,how can it produce better gfx than a x1950? Has anyone seen the Cry engine 3 demo for ps3 on youtube? It really kicks the pc's butt,but how is it possible when pc's are supposedly far superior?

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why does an xbox 360 seem to produce gfx better than my pc? (correct me if im wrong) An xbox 360 has a x1950 gfx card inside it,and whilst its a good card,shouldnt my HD4850 demolish it? I just tried cod 5 @1920x1080 and it was lagging a bit,so i had to drop down to 1680x1050,but doesnt the 360 play it at 1080p with no lag? If so,how can a lesser gfx card outperform mine? And if a PS3 has a 7800gtx,how can it produce better gfx than a x1950? Has anyone seen the Cry engine 3 demo for ps3 on youtube? It really kicks the pc's butt,but how is it possible when pc's are supposedly far superior?

:blink: , i did not know that ps3 has 7800 gtx , i might add why ps3 with 7800 gtx beat my gtx 275 with i7 ....

:blink: , i did not know that ps3 has 7800 gtx , i might add why ps3 with 7800 gtx beat my gtx 275 with i7 ....

It's because the software developers can optimize the code to work with those SPECIFIC hardware sets, think about it. Imagine what it would be like to try and optimize a game for every graphics card out there.

the PS3 doesnt literally have a 7800GTX. It's basically the same card though but it's designed to work with the PS3's cell. The cell is like a super computer and it's used a lot for rendering graphics as well as processing physics. Everything on console is designed to work with specific hardware unlike PC games etc.

First off the CryEngine 3 is a new engine and not the one used in Crysis (the was CryEngine 2). CE3 has been optimized and should perform a lot better on the PC as well.

As for the discrepancies you're experiencing between consoles and PC, remember that often times PC games will have larger textures and so if you're maxxing out your PC game, that'd explain why you're not getting the same performance. In addition, you could have better lighting and shadows in PC version as well. It'll be very hard to have a true one-to-one test on performance.

It's because the software developers can optimize the code to work with those SPECIFIC hardware sets, think about it. Imagine what it would be like to try and optimize a game for every graphics card out there.

Thats not convincing me.Whats the point of spending hundreds of pounds/dollars on the latest gfx card if it performs worse than a 2-3 year old console? Im building a new i5 rig,just cos i want one,but after that i really am giving up on pc gaming.

:huh: ,got it now .... :D :thumbs-up:

Imagine what it would be like to try and optimize a game for every graphics card out there.

it will be fantastic , is not crysis and far cry optimized for nvidia graphics ....? :unsure:

the PS3 doesnt literally have a 7800GTX. It's basically the same card though but it's designed to work with the PS3's cell. The cell is like a super computer and it's used a lot for rendering graphics as well as processing physics. Everything on console is designed to work with specific hardware unlike PC games etc.

:wacko: :wacko:

doesnt the 360 play it at 1080p with no lag?

The XBox360 renders at lower resolutions, defaulting at 1280x720, but can be lower, e.g 848x480, and then upscales to 1920x1080... it doesn't render at 1080p for realtime 3D graphics in any game AFAIK...

More info on this and PS3: http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=46241

First off the CryEngine 3 is a new engine and not the one used in Crysis (the was CryEngine 2). CE3 has been optimized and should perform a lot better on the PC as well.

As for the discrepancies you're experiencing between consoles and PC, remember that often times PC games will have larger textures and so if you're maxxing out your PC game, that'd explain why you're not getting the same performance. In addition, you could have better lighting and shadows in PC version as well. It'll be very hard to have a true one-to-one test on performance.

Thats not convincing me.Whats the point of spending hundreds of pounds/dollars on the latest gfx card if it performs worse than a 2-3 year old console? Im building a new i5 rig,just cos i want one,but after that i really am giving up on pc gaming.

i will never give up on pc gaming :lol:

Edited by N.E.A

Am i the only one to think that crysis/warhead really doesnt look that good? Far cry 2 looks loads better and i can even play it at 1080p nice and smooth.Also,theyve been banging on about this 'optimizing' thing for ages and whilst i agree that warhead runs smoother,crysis 1 still looked better(apart from the laughable pop up on both versions)