New Big Wus

road-runner

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

VMWare Workstation only supports 2 cores "officially" so that looks like a dead end. I read on FoldingForum about tweaking Workstation to 4 cores but that is still not going to fly considering the requirements.

• 1 month later...

OK, so I have VMWare Player 3.0 installed and it saw all 8 cores on my i7-920 :) I downloaded the Linux image from the eVGA thread that roadrunner had posted and fired it up last night. I also used the -smp 7 flag they recommended instead of 8 cores (real and virtual) available. I am also running my gtx 275 videocard as well and using stock settings for it..

So far it looks promising. With my CPU overclocked to 3.6 ghz I am getting an average frame time of 36.83 min. which looks pretty good compared to the stats posted on the folding forum. CPU usage is 90-93% but memory usage jumped to 78% which was no surprise.

Not bad for a Windows PC running a Virtual Machine I think.

Hey, wait! If you use the -smp 7 flag, doesn't it mean you run it only on 7 threads? I thought these WUs could simply not run on less than 8 threads?

That's right! I thought that it wasn't going to fly based on the info I read on the eVGA site but I decided to give it a go and if the frame times were bad I'd up it to 8. Well it for some reason worked. :huh:

Next up is play time: I'm going to set it to -smp 8 and see if the big WU client and my video card still play nice together. Then I'll take the GPU offline and see what happens performance wise. Or maybe the other way around. :unsure:

Regardless I think I'll only run this WU if I'm going to be away from home as I'm afraid to do anything too taxing on the system (e.g. gaming) where I might need to pause it for any significant amount of time. I'd still make the 4 day deadline but tI guess I greedy for the bonus points. :D For the rest of the time I'll just switch over to the regular WUs.