RAID 5 on EVGA X58 SLi

torqueguru

I wanted to set up RAID 5 on my EVGA X58 motherboard, with 3 hard drives each 1.5 TB each. The Issue is, that only the Jmicron JMB363 chip supports RAID 5. And also, RAID 5 needs 3 disks. But the Jmicron JBM363 chip in this board has only 2 connectors for SATA disks.

This is an extract from the manual.

"There are nine (9) internal serial ATA connectors and one (1) e-SATA on this

motherboard. Connection points SATA0 - SATA5, are controlled by the South

Bridge Chipset. Connection points SATA8 - SATA9, are controlled by the

JMicron JMB363 chip. These connection points support RAID 0, RAID 1,

RAID 5, RAID 0+1 and JBOD configurations. SATA6 and SATA7 are

controlled by the JMicron JMB362 chip."

I am confused. I tried calling up EVGA, it sayd that t he wait time is 1 hour and 15 minutes! Can you believe that! Damn!

So help awaited on how to set up RAID 5 on my array.

Regards,

Torqueguru.

I am guessing the only way to do this would be to use the eSATA port and the 2 ports from the JMicron. That is if the eSATA connects to the JMicron.

Having said that, I would HIGHLY recommend you DO NOT run a RAID 5. Not unless you go out and buy a NICE RAID card.

Running RAID 5 on the Server in my sig, and its TERRIBLE. The Disk IO is terribly slow, and if the system looses power, it takes about 15 hours to re-check the array.

As soon as money allows, going to pickup 4x 1TB disks, and just run RAID 10.

The porblem with RAID 5 is the parity calculations. Its just too much for a terrible onboard controller. Stick with RAID1, 0 or 10. Again, I would just make use of your South Bridge ports, MUCH better. Never been too pleased with JMicron tbh.

Same here the JMicron stuff always gave me trouble.

Ok now I am quite pleased to know that I am not going RAID 5, many of my friends at occ have now recommended against it. So here goes "NO RAID 5!!!" :)

Thanks a bunch guys.

Regards,

Torgueguru.

What not RAID 5? RAID 5 is the best all around for performance and redundancy. The intel ICHR10 will support it, the only problem is the boot volume can not exceed 2TB combined between all the drives. Secondary volumes are OK.

What not RAID 5? RAID 5 is the best all around for performance and redundancy. The intel ICHR10 will support it, the only problem is the boot volume can not exceed 2TB combined between all the drives. Secondary volumes are OK.

Have you used RAID 5 with an On-board controller?

Cause I have. And all thought in theory its the best, in practise, it SUCKS. Unless you get a REAL nice DEDICATED card, its just terrible IO. You dont REALLY think that an Onboard controller can do everything as well as an $800 RAID card do you??

At the cost of disks now, its better to go RAID 10:

RAID 5 3x 500GB = 1TB of useful space

RAID10 4x500GB = 1TB of useful space

So basically for an extra $60 you can save yourself some trouble.

Have you used RAID 5 with an On-board controller?

Cause I have. And all thought in theory its the best, in practise, it SUCKS. Unless you get a REAL nice DEDICATED card, its just terrible IO. You dont REALLY think that an Onboard controller can do everything as well as an $800 RAID card do you??

I do. Works fine for my needs of storing music, movies, all my software, etc. He never said it would outperform a dedicated raid card...no . sherlock. But does the average person need to spend $800 for a raid card? Probably not.

And clearly it has a very poorly written manual seeing as how the ICH10R supports raid 5 =/

Used a RAID 5 on my old 975x board and it worked fine for me. I have also used various RAID's with expensive RAID cards and they are faster, but only on controller cards with built-in memory.

Edited by uneedav8

i picked up my LSI for $150 on ebay new, check it out, raid-5 runs like a charm at 900mb/s peak.

it's an 8port sata card, well it's 2x SAS really but thats besides the point. raid 5 is good and cheap and the 2TB limit per volume is ALL raids. instead of having one massive say 3TB F: you have to split it up 2Tb+1 or 1.5+1.5 (whatever you want really). if you care about your data never do raid on any motherboard! i have lost countless of TBs because of these over the years and just never learned.

raid-0 for motherboards and raid cards for storage unless its raid1 (raid10 will still have the same issues if the board goes or whatnot).

Edited by hornybluecow