5870 price range

N.E.A

Not to be too frank, but you talk alot of s*** dont ya?

Where do you get all this stuff from?? One second your screaming about the GT300's, then SLi then the 5890.... why?

What games do you play that you cant play now? It seems like your getting over excited for no reason...

QFT

I don't see the issue with 5870s being good cards....I'm betting that two 285's with beat two 9800GX2's, because the single cores are better and since CF and SLI between two gpu's is still getting refined, they aren't paying as much attention to tri-fire/tri-SLI or quad-fire/quad-SLI.

Since we can get sufficient performance for anything with just two cards, ATI and Nvidia haven't seen much reason to further develop the scaling beyond two gpu's

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Got the 5870 in and ran some 3DMark 01SE, 03, 06, and Vantage benchmarks. Posted them up in the 3DMark competition thread http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.p...7559&st=444

Scores were:

3DMark2001SE 61488

3DMark03 86002

3DMark06 25593

3DMark Vantage P18551-I noticed that this slightly edges the pair of 4890s I benchmarked previously with a lower CPU overclock by a small margin. I can't wait to see what two of the 5870s will do in crossfire.

So far so good. I just installed Darkest of Days(though no PhysX for me) and am installing Battle Stations Pacific now. I'll install Wolfenstein and Call of Juarez bound in blood next and get to gaming on it. It's a little early to tell but the benchmarks so far are promising. Debating whether to pick up Batman Arkam Asylum today or to wait.

IVI was right this thing is a huge boat. That doesn't bother me as I have this all outside of a case but I can see where it would be problematic for some due to the card's length. It's pretty heavy as well. Looks fantastic in my opinion.

It will be nice to have another one in crossfire so I can sit back and not upgrade this system anymore for at least a couple of months. It would be about maxed out on everything I care to add to it. The 5870x2s will likely cause me to do a power supply upgrade.

i did not know that quad sli sucks , i know cf sucks and so quad fire(cf) sucks :P

thanks wacko , but one more question , why quad sli sucks ....?

Crossfire outperforms SLI any day of the week.

What a fanboy.

So far so good. I just installed Darkest of Days(though no PhysX for me) and am installing Battle Stations Pacific now. I'll install Wolfenstein and Call of Juarez bound in blood next and get to gaming on it. It's a little early to tell but the benchmarks so far are promising. Debating whether to pick up Batman Arkam Asylum today or to wait.

IVI was right this thing is a huge boat. That doesn't bother me as I have this all outside of a case but I can see where it would be problematic for some due to the card's length. It's pretty heavy as well. Looks fantastic in my opinion.

It will be nice to have another one in crossfire so I can sit back and not upgrade this system anymore for at least a couple of months. It would be about maxed out on everything I care to add to it. The 5870x2s will likely cause me to do a power supply upgrade.

Glad you like it, looks like it is not all just hype :). I paid close to $200 bucks more for that kind of performance not too long ago...I love computers :lol:. I will now be on the lookout for a cheap 4870X2 to use on my upcoming win7 upgrade :D .

good to hear you like it, i dont think you should play darkest of days without physx since i here it ruins the experience. if you have three slots, i would hit up ebay for an 8800gt. just my opinion ;)

good to hear you like it, i dont think you should play darkest of days without physx since i here it ruins the experience. if you have three slots, i would hit up ebay for an 8800gt. just my opinion ;)

Only have 2 PCI-E slots and they are pretty close together with this m-atx board. I've played it a bit and it doesn't ruin the game at all not having PhysX. It might be prettier or a little more immersive with it but the gameplay and storyline is what will make or break it for me. So far it's pretty good. I've been thinking really hard about just throwing a GTX275 that I have just to see but the idea of a second 5870 is just more appealing to me. Besides it's a lot less hassle and no software work-arounds. I can live without PhysX.

I think we get to caught up in the smaller details and gleaning #s from benchmarks. I just want a pair of cards(which is a concession as I'd prefer one) that I can crank the AA and AF filtering to max settings and play fluidly with no hiccups, stuttering, lag, or so much heat and noise that it distracts from the game itself. I really don't want to think about the hardware I'm running while I'm gaming. I game to relax and get away. If I start having to think about the hardware then there's little to enjoy and no relaxation. I really don't want to think about how much I've spent or how much I'm going to need to spend as that's stress-inducing. Having said that I plan to add a second 5870 next and a larger LCD along with a power supply upgrade for down the road with an eye towards a pair of 5870x2 for total overkill. Then of course there is the upcoming i9 CPUs and probably a new cooler :D

So far I'm really impressed that the performance is very similar to the 2 4890s that this 5870 replaced. Same cost initially but I make a little back with idle power savings so I pay less to have it running as I never turn my PC off. While the cost savings will surely not be much it helps to justify the purchase in my mind. This card overclocks to the max setting of 900/1300 in CCC and really doesn't get hot with the fan at 100%(which sounds like a hairdryer but I don't mind) in benchmarks. I haven't had the opportunity to game very much with it yet but so far I don't see the need to overclock it. I also don't need a second 5870 but I want one and can afford it so I'll make that happen soon.

Sadly I have to sell/trade my soundcard for a pci one.... Trust me man there is still a difference between onboard and X-Fi... I doubt that gap will ever close.

Not to be too frank, but you talk alot of s*** dont ya?

Where do you get all this stuff from?? One second your screaming about the GT300's, then SLi then the 5890.... why?

What games do you play that you cant play now? It seems like your getting over excited for no reason...

i do like all video cards , :P

i play crysis/warhead and soon 2

right now my 22 inch is broke so i am back to 19 inch with gtx 275

i will get 24 inch soon but then i will need more power to play crysis with the max settings

i also play other games , but what concerns me is crysis

IVI said before that 2 gtx 275 consume less energy than one gtx 295 ................

11 inches long but to me it felt lighter than some of the other monster size cards I have.

Sadly I have to sell/trade my soundcard for a pci one.... Trust me man there is still a difference between onboard and X-Fi... I doubt that gap will ever close.

Still bet the newest boards are coming with Discrete PCIe X-Fi based sound cards and they sound great as long as you get the right drivers.

lol coke man likes the 11 inch long card ;) j/k the 4850x2 i have is 11.25 ... so i know the feeling ... anyway.... im curious to see the length of the x2 model lol.. might have to make a special bracktes to hold it up... the next pci e design should be with the port farther back on the motherboard.. to take some of the weight better..... just a thought

Only have 2 PCI-E slots and they are pretty close together with this m-atx board. I've played it a bit and it doesn't ruin the game at all not having PhysX. It might be prettier or a little more immersive with it but the gameplay and storyline is what will make or break it for me. So far it's pretty good. I've been thinking really hard about just throwing a GTX275 that I have just to see but the idea of a second 5870 is just more appealing to me. Besides it's a lot less hassle and no software work-arounds. I can live without PhysX.

I think we get to caught up in the smaller details and gleaning #s from benchmarks. I just want a pair of cards(which is a concession as I'd prefer one) that I can crank the AA and AF filtering to max settings and play fluidly with no hiccups, stuttering, lag, or so much heat and noise that it distracts from the game itself. I really don't want to think about the hardware I'm running while I'm gaming. I game to relax and get away. If I start having to think about the hardware then there's little to enjoy and no relaxation. I really don't want to think about how much I've spent or how much I'm going to need to spend as that's stress-inducing. Having said that I plan to add a second 5870 next and a larger LCD along with a power supply upgrade for down the road with an eye towards a pair of 5870x2 for total overkill. Then of course there is the upcoming i9 CPUs and probably a new cooler :D

So far I'm really impressed that the performance is very similar to the 2 4890s that this 5870 replaced. Same cost initially but I make a little back with idle power savings so I pay less to have it running as I never turn my PC off. While the cost savings will surely not be much it helps to justify the purchase in my mind. This card overclocks to the max setting of 900/1300 in CCC and really doesn't get hot with the fan at 100%(which sounds like a hairdryer but I don't mind) in benchmarks. I haven't had the opportunity to game very much with it yet but so far I don't see the need to overclock it. I also don't need a second 5870 but I want one and can afford it so I'll make that happen soon.

fair enough, since i have the option I'll have to experiment with physx on and off in game and see it it's worth extra card. I know some games with physx don't run at all without a physx card (like cryostasis, and mirror's edge was bad without it.)

as long as you're happy with it, that's all that matters. I can't attack ya for having a setup that you're happy with. :typing:

IVI said before that 2 gtx 275 consume less energy than one gtx 295 ................

I certainly did not :D, the dual pcb probably used about the same but the single may use a bit less power.

11 inches long but to me it felt lighter than some of the other monster size cards I have.

Still bet the newest boards are coming with Discrete PCIe X-Fi based sound cards and they sound great as long as you get the right drivers.

I wonder if the 5870x2 will be the same length

lol coke man likes the 11 inch long card ;) j/k the 4850x2 i have is 11.25 ... so i know the feeling ... anyway.... im curious to see the length of the x2 model lol.. might have to make a special bracktes to hold it up... the next pci e design should be with the port farther back on the motherboard.. to take some of the weight better..... just a thought

yeah I never understood why the 4850x2 was 3/4" bigger than the 4870x2, I wouldn't think there would be that much more required to run the extra two dvi's out

Edited by IVIYTH0S