XFX HD4870 Heat problems

Seriphx

Hey guys :)

Haven't been on in a while cause my old comp died. Motherboard fried.

I built myself a new rig though :)

GA-MA770T-UD3P

Phenom II x2 550

4GB Kit DDR 3 1600Mhz G.Skill RAM

600W Thermaltake Toughpower

XFX HD 4870 1GB

CM Storm Scout

Xigmatek S1283 HDT Red Scorpion CPU Cooler

2x Xigmatek 120mm XLF LED Fan.

21.5" BenQ G2220HD

So far, most things going smoothly, a few hiccups, I had a 1500RPM Xigmatek 120mm fan on the side panel, but was creating alot of noise, (was fine off the panel, it must be something to do with the side of the case and wind shear or something) so I removed it. I am not to happy that I bought this fan and its to loud to keep on, I've tried slowing it down with SpeedFan, but I've never used it before and can't get it to change fan speeds.

My CPU is running ~24C Idle, and haven't seen load yet, but I am happy with this.

However, what I am most concerned about is the HD 4870. When I purchased it, I was led to believe by the site that I was getting a refference design cooler. However AFTER shipping they emailed me saying that the cards they had were the same in specs, just different cooling solution.

(Cooler I was told I would recieve: Original Cooler)

(Cooler I got: New Cooling Solution)

I wasn't happy about this, but thought they wouldn't put something like this on if it couldn't cool sufficiently right? Well, I'm worried now, because SpeedFan says that it is running 80C Idle. This can't be good I'm sure.

So, is there any other programs I can use to monitor GPU temps and see if they both say 80C?

And any suggestions on the noise from the side panel fan? It is unbearably loud and I don't know how to slow it down from 1500RPM.

Thank you.

It may be the vibration from the fan in the side panel. Rubber grommets, rubber screws, or a fan silencer http://www.frozencpu.com/products/2756/fss...?tl=g33c111s201 may help. It may require something for the side panel as well http://www.frozencpu.com/products/7848/noi...?tl=g33c117s778 .

looks like your GPU cooler vents all of it's heat directly into the case. Probably need to work on good airflow inside your case to vent it out.

For the side panel anti-vibration rubber rings came with the case, those are on, but I am pretty sure its the sound of the air being pulled through the holes in the side panel, it's like very loud wind shear.

Also is 80C to high for idle? And do you know of any GPU Temp monitoring programs besides SpeedFan that I can use?

Thanks

this may be a majorly obvious answer.... but have you tried using catalysts built in temperature reading as a reference????? i can't even get my 4870 (sapphire) to show up in speedfan

just an idea.....

wow that "new" cooling solution is retarded.

i have the old style , just had to unlock the manual control in CCC , boost it to about 30-40% fan speed , and it stays under 40c