noob to linux/ubuntu

damian

Ubuntu/Linux was a complete headache for me. The first day I installed it I could not install a single program. Apparently its all about "commands". How do they expect a noob to work with Linux if you can't even unzip a file without using a command line. Maybe I missed something that was completely obvious, and i hope I did. Can anyone comment on this?

If i did something oblivious and am pointed in the right direction, I wouldn't mind giving it another shot.

While on this subject, how does Linux compare to Windows in general terms? What are the benefits (other than it being free), and why would you choose it over a Windows operating system?

You can use the synaptic package manager for installing most things. You might have to use a command to enable a few package repositories but its pretty straight forward copy paste but you are going to have to get used to the command line. Once you are used to using it you might actually find yourself wishing Windows had something so simple. Its freakin' frustrating to be a newbie but there are guides for most everything and the people on the official forums are really helpful. This is all coming from someone who has just scraped the surface of the OS.

If I never gamed I would probably run a linux system. Its fun once you get it up and running and there are always benefits to learning a new OS. I always like the layout and navigation better than Windows. Someone should make a gnome clone for Windows :(

Edit* If I remember right all it takes with some downloaded packages is a right click or two to get them installed.

Edited by SMeeD

Iv been using different linux distros for awhile now and still havent been able to replace windows for something of the things i do :D(all of which are gaming related.......). As far as Ubuntu is concerned though make sure you have the latest release obvously and just mess around in it. Windows was . me off on my labtop so install Gentoo and Ubuntu on it and have had little to no issues with it. SMeeD is right if you want something done and you dont know the commands on how to download, untar(similar to a rar and zip file), locate, and place into a location then just use the package manager. Its REALLY easy to use and almost fool-proof. The hardest thing you will have in ubuntu or any other linux distro is the lack of apparent help you will find right off the bat. Obviouly you cant just ask your next door neightbor at 2:30am how to do something, but just look for some forums, theres a TON of them and you will almost always find someone who figured out a problem you are having. The last think you will really want to do is get WINE installed and known how to use it, if your a gamer like myself then that is the hardest thing to do with getting into linux. If you havent heard of wine go to http://www.winehq.org/, its basically a windows emulator without accutally being an emulator :D.

• 2 months later...

Yea that's what I thought when I first started ubuntu, everything is command line... well, it's not. You think it is, because the advice you're received refers to the terminal, so that it can apply to more than just ubuntu. You can simply read the information given in the command line, and execute it with a gui. For example, to uncompress a file, use the archive manager (distros have different managers, so they refer to terminal for compatibility). If they tell you to install something, search up that same item in the package manager. If they tell you to create folders and stuff, simply type in the terminal "sudo nautilus", which is a short and sweet command. 'sudo' gives the command you're running super user powers, which is like run as admin in this crappy OS called windows. 'nautilus' is the default file browser in ubuntu, and sudo gives nautilus super powers so you can do anything, and won't be limited by permissions, so you don't have to use the command prompt to do simple and stupid things like creating and deleting folders lol. You may also want to change the permissions in the Properties tab, so you don't have to go sudo next time ;)

Ubuntu/Linux was a complete headache for me. The first day I installed it I could not install a single program. Apparently its all about "commands". How do they expect a noob to work with Linux if you can't even unzip a file without using a command line. Maybe I missed something that was completely obvious, and i hope I did. Can anyone comment on this?

If i did something oblivious and am pointed in the right direction, I wouldn't mind giving it another shot.

While on this subject, how does Linux compare to Windows in general terms? What are the benefits (other than it being free), and why would you choose it over a Windows operating system?

the repositories pretty much have everything you need.

If you know the program your looking for you can use a xterm to download and install from the repository

sudo apt-get install wine

for example, btw WINE is a tool you can use to install and run Windows programs, works great :)

• 2 weeks later...
You can use the synaptic package manager for installing most things. You might have to use a command to enable a few package repositories but its pretty straight forward copy paste but you are going to have to get used to the command line. Once you are used to using it you might actually find yourself wishing Windows had something so simple. Its freakin' frustrating to be a newbie but there are guides for most everything and the people on the official forums are really helpful. This is all coming from someone who has just scraped the surface of the OS.

If I never gamed I would probably run a linux system. Its fun once you get it up and running and there are always benefits to learning a new OS. I always like the layout and navigation better than Windows. Someone should make a gnome clone for Windows :(

Edit* If I remember right all it takes with some downloaded packages is a right click or two to get them installed.

If you just want the look, you can find a "Tango Patcher" and "Human Theme" on deviantART.

Hit up Google. There are plenty of How-To articles on Ubuntu.

Here is a free Ubuntu Pocket Guide: http://www.ubuntupocketguide.com/download_main.html

Next month is gaming month for my console. So, I won't be needing to boot into Windows as much. I guess I'll go check out the latest Ubuntu release.

Anyways Ubuntu 9.10 officially releases in 3 days, according to their site's countdown timer.

Edited by Krazyxazn

Thanks for the help guys. I might be getting a netbook or laptop for christmas, so I'll definitely give it another go :)

Keep this in mind: I'm using an Eee PC 904HA (1.6GHz processor, 2GB RAM) and Windows 7 Ultimate absolutely flies on here, as does Ubuntu and all of its derivatives. So don't think they're underpowered. ;)

Thanks for the help guys. I might be getting a netbook or laptop for christmas, so I'll definitely give it another go :)

Windows 7 or Vista will definitely give you better battery life. :)