Finally deciding it's time for the build.

t0asty

Well I used to game on my HP Pavilion dv9535nr on older games like DOD and CS, and it could handle COD4 and 5 with lowered settings. Well like everyone else that has these knows they have a serious defect and my display is starting to go out and HP wont do anything about it. So before this laptop becomes a paper weight I wanted to start on a new desktop build.

I have been on these forums for a little while now, reading reviews, and the suggestions by everyone and finally decided to put together my first pc.

Starting off, I will be gaming at 1900x1200 res, and I want the settings to be turned close to max. Also as soon as another debranded HP monitor comes around I am going dual monitors (which is how I have my laptop set up now). I do a of compressing files and unloading, as well as transfers and gaming. I also plan on getting a bluray burner once I have everything else.

The Case: Cooler Master HAF 932 139.99

The CPU:Intel i7 920 279.99 unless someone around a Microcenter wants to send me one :D

Motherboard:ASUS P6T LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard 249.99 should I do the delux?

GPU: XFX GX275XADQC GeForce GTX 275 234.99

PS:PC Power & Cooling S75QB 750W 89.99

RAM:OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 79.99

DVD:Pioneer Black CD/DVD Burner 26.99

HD:Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 99.99

Total = 966.93

I am able to get Vista relatively cheap through my school, so other than that... I plan on OCing somewhat, nothing extreme, so I know I will need a cpu cooler.

Also, is it wise to buy parts peice by peice or would it be better to buy everything at once? I know parts can be DOA occasionally, but I figured if I got a lifetime or some sort of extended manf warrentee I would be safe, and save the parts that don't have that warrentee to last.

If ya'll could just comment on the build, and let me know if there is anything that I am missing that would be a lot of help!

Edited by t0asty

not bad at all, and at a pretty nice price as well.

if you can afford it, you might as well just buy everything at once instead of piece by piece...

definitely try and get the best warranty as possible on anything though, but with those parts that should be pretty much covered (looks like pretty top of the line companies on that list).

again, if you can afford the extra money...

why not just go for the deluxe edition of the motherboard, it should have some extra features to make it worth it.

welcome to occ by the way...

have fun!

Killer system, all the parts are top notch! It seems like you know what you're doing.

Also, depending on how cheap Vista is at your school, you might want to look into the release candidate for Windows 7. It's very stable for a beta build (hell, even for an actual release), and doesn't have many compatibility problems because of its similarities with Vista. The few issues there are have generally quick fixes.

Killer system, all the parts are top notch! It seems like you know what you're doing.

Also, depending on how cheap Vista is at your school, you might want to look into the release candidate for Windows 7. It's very stable for a beta build (hell, even for an actual release), and doesn't have many compatibility problems because of its similarities with Vista. The few issues there are have generally quick fixes.

Well the Vista Ultimate is a little under a hundred at the university, and I have been reading up on Windows 7 and how far it has come along, so I might do that until it expires in 2010. I am so excited to finally have this thing out on the drawing board and hopefully on my desk within a month. I was reading that the 1366 socket will actually take the 775 heatsink as well, is this true? I was looking at the Zalman coolers for the cpu so I can begin the OC.

@ Maj0r, I think I might look into the Delux, its only 30 dollars more, and to have the extra options would be nice down the road.

Thanks for all the quick replys and suggestions! Let me know if there is anything missing...

Edited by t0asty

You might want a headset/speakers (you might already have those at home though).

Besides that, there's nothing else you would need in addition to your list.

As far as the OS goes, if they have Home Premium for cheaper, pick it up for sure. However, I would download Windows 7 and worry about an OS later down the road.

The Zalman is an excellent heatsink, but I would only recommend it for cramped systems because of its small size and high price. I would recommend the Xigmatek S-1283 which is much cheaper and has a small edge on performance (however it IS bigger, but the HAF is a huge case). I also know for a fact that it works with the LGA 1366 design/socket.

Edited by tkrow21

I just did my new build with the 920 i7 and the asus p6t. Not delux. I love it. I did do the OCZ 12 gig kit and I cant complain. If you use newsgroups or anyother torrent website, I got vista ultimate 64 bit for free. :D I also got the coolermaster v-8. Wondefull! Everything else looks good. I would suggest a full tower case. All kinda of room for good airflow plus easy wire managment. I also Got a Xi-Fi platinum pci sound card. (free from a friend tho) Hooked my logitech 5.1 up to it... Had to change my pants it sounded the great. :D I hoped this helped ya some. Happy building!

I was reading that the 1366 socket will actually take the 775 heatsink as well, is this true?

The spacing is different, but I think all Asus motherboards have both 775 and 1366 mounting holes

Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme and Noctua U12P are both very coolers for i7, but both are quite expensive too. Look into our heatsink reviews, Coolermaster V8 and more recently Titan Fenrir did well

well sweet guys, thanks for the help. I already have a 2.1 speaker setup, but 5.1 will be in the near future. Ill make sure I post up some build pictures when it starts to get here.