Would I Notice A Big Difference In Performance?

I currently have a P4 @ 1.4GHz, 128MB PC800 RDRAM, 32MB nVidia TNT2.

I want to build a Athlon XP 2500+, ABit NF7-S, 2x256MB PC2100 DDR, Radeon 9600XT. Will I notice a big change in performance? I am especially talking in regards to games. I probably won't oc it right away, but plan to in the future. Also, what kind of frame rights would I be looking at for folding?

Don't get PC2100 RAM. For a few dollars more you can get PC2700 or PC3200, with much better performance. For folding, you could probably get 1.5-2WU/day, if you run it 24/7. With faster RAM (2700/3200) you will probably notice a large increase in performance, depending on the game.

From a TNT2 to a 9600XT it's like going from black and white to HDTV.

Hehe, true. You would definetly notice a difference, i didnt know u could play games with a tnt2. :lol:

Just get atleast some good pc2700, if your not goin to oc, good pc3200 if you are goin to oc.

You will most definitely notice a major performance. Your biggest difference should be your video quality and frame rate. I would hold off on the Athlon if your P4 has Hyper Threading. I would rather have a p4 1.4GHz CPU with HT then an Athlon 2500+ as HT is a virtual CPU. This means that one P4 CPU with HT is equivalent to two p4s at the same speed. Pretty nice eh? :D You would need at least an OS that can handle two or more Processors (any OS that isn't 3.x or Win9x).

I would rather have a p4 1.4GHz CPU with HT then an Athlon 2500+ as HT is a virtual CPU. This means that one P4 CPU with HT is equivalent to two p4s at the same speed. Pretty nice eh? :D

Uh, not exactly. The two "virtual" cpu's still have to share that one physical cpu's clock cycles. Intel says HT gives like a 20% boost over a Non-HT p4 at the same speed.

Hahaha, If that was true Pentium 4's with HT would sell like Cocaine in the ghetto, I know i would have at least 20 of them haha= 40 cpu's? I see no little performance differance between my 2.4c dc 512 and a 2500+ dc 512

I hate to let you guys in on this little secret but...

(and i'm prolly wrong...)

But HT just disables error checking (a big part of a clock cycle) and reads one step ahead before acutal work to check for errors? (hence virtual dual cores.)

HT will be good one day, but that day isn't here yet. There are many imperfections to the pipelines of a P4 that could be better optimized for HT.