Multi-GPU Performance Evaluation

Nemo

One thing I don't don't like about this chart, it uses the best hardware out there. Almost no one has enough money to buy all of this. A suggestion would be to use maybe a system that is not the newest and best....

ya but the point was if you are playing at 1920x1200 or definitely 2560x1600 you are going to NEED a good video card/video cards, and if you aren't running one of these resolutions and are thinking about SLI'n or Xfire'n then you are wasting your time and money since the scaling is worse and while you'll still be able to max the games out, you really aren't getting a good enough return on your investment to warrant getting into it in the first place. If it so happens the card you are using is getting bogged down for any reason and you have money to go drop another one in, it's probably better to sell that card and then upgrade to the next level or higher's single card.

Edited by IVIYTH0S

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nah, 64-bit or not I call shenanigans. I've read a LOT of reviews and NONE show the big gaping difference in performance in those games he says. The gap definitely shrinks in DX9 (32-bit) but no benchmarks I seen show DX10 to be huge difference - merely a few frames, sometimes even going the other way depending on the game.

I listed the games I tested above

COD4

COD WAW

Grid

L4D

Last time I checked none of those games was optimized for ATI or nvidia

Not to pull nits, but since he is... most reviews show ALL of those games favoring ATI. I might be wrong on GRID, but I've read enough reviews to call BS on that claim. There may not be an official claim from the game dev saying "optimized for ATI" but if I actually cared enough to prove this guy wrong, it wouldn't take much effort.

Furthermore, as I mentioned above there are numerous reviews that put ATI ahead of Nvidia in some apps at some resolutions. Its basically a wash in many cases.

This I agree with, especially in single video card scenarios.

Also, there are plenty of members here with GTX260 in SLI (the 216 core) that can attest to it being faster than a GTX295 (including me).

This I will agree with, many reviews show two 260s in SLI beating the 295.

Yet somehow though, his own benchmarks prove his own statement wrong. :rolleyes:

edit:

Oh wait, his defense is already in place. EVERYONE on the interwebz is paid off ..but him. <_<

Edited by Fogel

Good review, very well written.

From a bang for your buck point of view and given that someone would want to use a 30' moniter, which 2 card setup (either crossfire or Sli) would give them the best results on the average. No particular game or benchmark being focused on..

My guess would be sli GTX 285's? maybe..

I only ask because I know someone thats thinking about it..

Edited by Ste

• 1 month later...

Uhh, why is it that GTX 260's scale much better than CF 4890's & 4870's?

Or am I missing something blatantly obvious with these results?

I wouldn't waste my money on a 4890 when it cost about 30% more than a GTX 260 Core 216.

SLI'ed together, they perform better than CF 4870's at the same price point and the more expensive 4890's.

GTX 275 is virtually identical in performance to the 4890 (source: http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3575&p=7) so GTX 260's would be the better deal at the moment.

Edited by ambientmf

Uhh, why is it that GTX 260's scale much better than CF 4890's & 4870's?

Or am I missing something blatantly obvious with these results?

I wouldn't waste my money on a 4890 when it cost about 30% more than a GTX 260 Core 216.

SLI'ed together, they perform better than CF 4870's at the same price point and the more expensive 4890's.

GTX 275 is virtually identical in performance to the 4890 (source: http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3575&p=7) so GTX 260's would be the better deal at the moment.

That was a great article. "Regardless of what else comes into play, overclocking looks good on both the Radeon HD 4890 and the GeForce GTX 275. "