Help me get 4GHz stable on my E8500 plz =)

HD4850

At 4GHz, it becomes a bit unstable =(

Currently @ 3.8GHz ~1.17v

OCCT 10hrs+ stable

Screenshot HERE

Seems like 3.8GHz is the max stable I can get.. I might need to buy new RAM or something =(

Edited by HD4850

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't like giving out overclocking advice because it is pointless if I can't be there fiddling with the BIOS.

However, you say you are at 1.17vcore. You can increase that to 1.3625vcore according to Intel.

I don't like giving out overclocking advice because it is pointless if I can't be there fiddling with the BIOS.

However, you say you are at 1.17vcore. You can increase that to 1.3625vcore according to Intel.

I've tried that already. Doesn't work.

Have you raised you North Bridge and FSB voltages? What's your RAM running at (speed and voltage)? What are your current temps?

Tried all of them. Raising mch & vtt voltages didn't help. RAM is running at 480fsb (333mhz with 2.40b strap, 6-6-6-18), I've tried 5-5-5-15 too, and it didn't help lol. Also tried 2.00b & 2.00d straps, still unstable.

As for current temps, they're in the screenshot I provided in my first post...

BTW: I'm still running OCCT as I post this =) trying to see how long it will last lol

Edited by HD4850

Download and flash to BIOS vs. F9

Make sure that you disable C.I.A.2 in your BIOS and any other advanced CPU features related to DES

Set Performance Enhance Mode to "Standard" for now

Manually set your memory timings to 5-5-5-15 2T

Enable Load Line Level Calibration

Observation: Your screen shot indicates that voltage is throttling down to 1.15vcore

Set NB voltage to 1.32 - 1.34vNB

Set VTT to 1.34 - 1.36v

Set PLL 1.60 - 1.62v

Set vDram - 2.1v

To begin with use the 2.00b strap, set your cpu multiplier = 9 and fsb = 428 and shoot for 3.85ghz stable. If that goes ok slowly start bumping up your FSB until you reach instability and let me know when that occurs.

You should pretty much be able to leave all your other BIOS settings at Auto from here. At extremely high FSB manual adjustment of the CPU and MCH reference voltages can help sometimes, but you're not anywhere near that.

give that thing 1.40v in the bios - i got mine at 4.5 and i idle at like 1.35v

tried that already. still unstable.

anyways, it doesn't make sense to use 1.4v for 4GHz when I'm running 1.17v for 3.8GHz.

The problem here is definitely not voltage.. trust me, I've set all sorts of voltages. Played with this thing for a few days now =)

The problem here is definitely not voltage.. trust me, I've set all sorts of voltages. Played with this thing for a few days now =)

I will have to argue that only a few days is not sufficient time for me to know for sure.

So no, I won't "trust you" that its not a voltage issue. ;)

But keep at it, you have nothing to lose as you are already playing with house money at 3.8. :thumbs-up:

anyways, it doesn't make sense to use 1.4v for 4GHz when I'm running 1.17v for 3.8GHz.

You haven't really played with a bunch of C2D E8400 or E8500's then. Most steppings have a mile of leg room at stock or near stock vcore. You will hit a wall where a decent jump in voltage is necessary. The 3.6 - 3.8ghz range is fairly common with stock voltage up to about 1.25vcore. After there you will need around 1.29 - 1.35 to get to the next level if that's where you want to be.

But you're right about one thing. It doesn't really make a lot of sense to shoot for that extra .2ghz at the expense of another .23 bump in vcore.

You haven't really played with a bunch of C2D E8400 or E8500's then. The 3.6 - 3.8ghz range is fairly common with stock voltage up to about 1.25vcore.

like I said, I've tried up to 1.4v on the vcore already. so why do you insist that it's a voltage problem?

3.8GHz at 1.17v stable in OCCT 10hrs is COMMON? LMFAO...

Edited by HD4850

3.8GHz at 1.17v stable in OCCT 10hrs is COMMON? LMFAO...

While it may not be what everyone gets, it's definitely not unheard of, especially with an E8500. and yes, it's quite possible that you can run 3.8GHz at 1.17vcore, and even going higher to 3.9 could mean you have to increase the voltage up to 1.4v or more. i believe it's very common for the chips to have an exponential need for voltage as their FSB increases, yours may just have an oddly shaped curve.