Help me get 4GHz stable on my E8500 plz =)

HD4850

like I said, I've tried up to 1.4v on the vcore already. so why do you insist that it's a voltage problem?

3.8GHz at 1.17v stable in OCCT 10hrs is COMMON? LMFAO...

Well, you will find one of my Socket 775 OCDB at 4.0ghz stable based on the old DFI/DIY toaster stable requirements. Using a Gigabyte GA-X38-DS4 and E8400 @ 1.26vcore. And that particular stepping cpu went straight to 3.6ghz stable without a single change in the BIOS other than upping the FSB to 400.

What exactly are you after here? You say you want help getting to 4.0ghz with your E8500 but every piece of advice that's been offered gets the same response from you (i.e. you've already tried everything).

Since overclocking isn't an exact science, and no two components or combination of components might produce the same results, have you ever considered that you are already at your stable ceiling.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:withstupid:

2nd on Raiders comment....

read up on how to adjust the GTL reference voltages...it may be time with your chip to do so...FYI...raising them isnt always a good thing... sometimes lowering them is better for stability...

and you posted NO NOOBS...if thats the case why did you even post...?

by posting no noobs you do nothing but turn ppl away from helping you. this community isnt in the habit of doing that unless your post is

A) unintelligible (most of us have pretty bad grammer but we can still get a point across)

B) not enough information (i just bought a computer how do i overclock it to 7ghz so i can play crysis at OVER 9000 FPS

C) refutting all advice cuz you know it all and are better than the rest of us lol (which than brings up argument if your so good than why are you asking for help...)

anyway uhm yea back on topic.....you might be at an FSB wall or voltage wall. try upping either or both of them just a tad. overclocking is tedious work

I think we all are missing something here. I've reread the original post and he states he may have reached his OC ceiling and may need new Ram.

He has an E8500 and 1066 memory.

Does anyone think you can't OC (to 4.0 Ghz) an E8500 with 1066 memory?

I know there's no guarantees with OCing but it would be VERY strange to reach a ceiling of 3.8 Ghz with an E8500, IMO.

I'm thinking a few Bios pics or post All Bios settings may be in order here, to see exactly what he is doing (or not doing to be more precise).

OR, he just wanted people to say "WOW you got to 3.8 Ghz on 1.17v, great job".

Just my 2 cents worth.

Edited by RJR

hmm I just placed a couple fans onto my NB & RAM, and that seems to solve the problem.. OCCT has been running for over 1hr at 4GHz... maybe it was just a temperature problem.. imma do some more testing to be sure.

EDIT: nvm it's still unstable =( ..I give up.

Edited by HD4850

I dont understand why you're trying to run your voltage so low at this point. Great, you can run 1.17v, but thats not your goal. Your goal is to overclock I thought, not undervolt. So raise your vcore. You cannot expect to raise your clock speeds and leave your vcore so low. It would be nice, but it will not happen. Raise vcore to 1.3 or higher and leave it there until your chip is running at the frequency you want.

What temperatures do you reach while stability testing with prime95?

I wouldnt touch the VTT voltage, more than likely changing that setting at that speed/voltage will be a cause for instability before its a fix. You really should be able to set every voltage to auto except your vcore, vdimm, MCH, and northbridge. Set those four by hand. Another thing you can do is set your CPU multiplier to 6, and keep raising the FSB speed. Sometimes there are gaps in stable speeds; 390 could be fine, 400 could be unstable, and 410 could be fine again.\

Make sure your memory divider is set to 2 also. While you can probably get pretty high on 1066 RAM, there is a speed limit for stability.

I dont understand why you're trying to run your voltage so low at this point. Great, you can run 1.17v, but thats not your goal. Your goal is to overclock I thought, not undervolt. So raise your vcore. You cannot expect to raise your clock speeds and leave your vcore so low. It would be nice, but it will not happen. Raise vcore to 1.3 or higher and leave it there until your chip is running at the frequency you want.

read post #8 and #11 ...

read post #8 and #11 ...

Do you really expect people to continue to try and help when all you do is shoot down absolutely everything that's suggested?

If you want a faster test of stability I'd use IntelBurnTest.

Also - try dropping your multiplier and cranking the FSB. See how far it can go to rule out the motherboard and memory.

Do you really expect people to continue to try and help when all you do is shoot down absolutely everything that's suggested?

If you want a faster test of stability I'd use IntelBurnTest.

Also - try dropping your multiplier and cranking the FSB. See how far it can go to rule out the motherboard and memory.

I did not "shoot down" anything... I was simply telling him that I already tried it, and I pointed him to the posts where I CLEARLY stated that I already tried that. jesus christ...

I did not "shoot down" anything... I was simply telling him that I already tried it, and I pointed him to the posts where I CLEARLY stated that I already tried that. jesus christ...

You are overclocking backwards. Set your voltage to your personal "safe"spec, around 1.4v, then once you reach your overclock ceiling THEN you slowly lower voltage until it is not stable anymore. That way you end up with the max overclock at the lowest voltage. Your method leaves WAY too many variables to monitor and change at once, making overlcocking a longer and more tedious task then it already is. Low voltage OC