2 eTailers made 2 different recommendations. What's your opinion?

To liquid-cool an i7 CPU with the future ability to expand into cooling 1 or 2 GPUs...

Online Retailer #1 recommended this set-up:

HEATKILLER

I would go with #2 except for the Koolance, I would use #1's Rad etc with some better fans such as ULTRA's KAZE fans (2000 or 3000rps, doesn't really matter) The GTZ is arguably the best waterblock on the market. Have you looked through the pinned watercooling thread in overclocking and cooling? It is very helpful :)

Edited by Geekspeak411

I would go with #2 except for the Koolance, I would use #1's Rad etc with some better fans such as ULTRA's KAZE fans (2000 or 3000rps, doesn't really matter) The GTZ is arguably the best waterblock on the market. Have you looked through the pinned watercooling thread in overclocking and cooling? It is very helpful :)
The Scythe "ULTRA KAZE" 120 x 38 mm Case Fan?

So same brand fan...just a different model?!?!

And you're saying that the Swiftech Apogee GTZ is a far superior CPU water-block compared to the Heatkiller 3.0 ? ? ?

Does this mean you don't think "ANY" of the Koolance Exos cooling systems are worth looking at for cooling an overclocked i7 CPU (and possibly expanding to GPU water-blocks in the future) ? ? ?

Edited by Venombane

I've read tons of user reviews on the heatkillers, they're top notch. they even grade out above the GTZ more than a few times. you certainly wont go wrong w/either though - you'd probably only notice a total difference of 1 to 3 degrees C between the two.

personally, I like the all-metal construction of the heatkiller blocks, and if I were building a water setup right now, that's the block I'd get.

head to google and search for reviews on each block. seriously though, there wont be a meaningful difference between the two...it's all preference at that point.

Venom,

I can't vouche for the Koolance kit since I haven't used any of their products. But as a general rule of thumb a self built loop using top grade components will outperform even a really good pre-built kit.

The components you have on Option 1 would make a really great kit. You might look at the D-Tek Fuzion v2 water block as an option.

As I said in the other thread, the rule of thumb is that if it's a pre-built kit, it's probably not as good as custom. I'm not a big Koolance fan myself. I'd much rather go with the #1 option.

Koolance has typically been known to be teh suck. I'd be wary of buying one of their kits. As far as the GTZ it's hardly the best on the market. It and the D-tek are about neck and neck but the D-tek is less restictive and is usually better for loops with more than one block. On top of that theres newer blocks out now that do better than both of them.

I'd go with the first setup but i'd swap out the pump for the mcp355 /w aftermarket XSPC top.

One of my water-cooled i7 920 has a setup very similiar to the first setup. It's the best H2O setup I've built and it definitely has the capacity to handle the 920's heat. The HeatKiller 3.0 and EK Supreme LT are the two best blocks on the market right now, the GTZ and Fuzion are simply no match for those blocks.

Here's mine just in case you're wondering:

XSPC RX360 Rad with 3 Scythe S-Flex Fans

HeatKiller 3.0 Block

MCP 355 Pump with XSPC Rez top

Feser 1/2" ID 3/4" OD Tubing

With that setup I've never seens loaded temps over 65C, and that was with 1.55v on the i7 :)

Question for ya...

The MCP355 has these specs...

Nominal voltage 12 V DC

Operating voltage range 8 to 13.2 VDC

Minimum starting Voltage 9 VDC

Nominal power (@ 12 V)

14 to 19 W

Nominal current (@ 12 V) 1.16 to 1.58 A

Nominal head (@ 12 V)

15 ft (4.5 m)

Nominal discharge (@ 12 V)

~ 120 GPH (454 LPH)