Empire: Total War

LoArmistead

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

You need to have quite a good computer to run this game. The graphics look awesome and as a history geek I love this game :D the timeline is just perfect. I've never had any bugs that would be so annoying, some minor flaws only. Howewer, if you buy this game, you will need to learn hundreds of different names for units etc and know what they are good for. If you play this game seriously it has unlimited value. That's my opinion. I got over 100 hours to medieval 2 and I still have things I discover in it. ETW has imo over double the amount of stuff.

I tried the civil war mod beta. It was pretty cool. The uniforms were inaccurate (just meshed together ETW clothing items), but the huge regiments were a plus. I think they were over 400 men... enough to slow my computer down on a full battle, anyway. This mod has real potential as it progresses. I'm also looking forward to the Napoleon expansion.

And for those of you into historical RTS games, if you've played Take Command: 2nd Manassas, or History Channel's Civil War: Battle of Bull Run, the folks who created those two games have been working long and hard on their next release: "Gettysburg: Scourge of War."

It's due out late 09, early '10, and it's going to be great, with multiplayer and co-op options. I have been looking forward to this game for a long, long time.

Edited by LoArmistead

• 2 weeks later...

Here's some screen shots of the Civil war modification using the Manassas map that is included with the mod. It's beautiful, and huge. This battle was a 2v2. Total size was 12,000 vs 12,000. So it's definitely not for weak computers.

ss_file-11e8d294778aa7a094c0d59116e994edb22ffef4.jpg

ss_file-cefece49e8e48c4daddf00436fa1c3aa61f09912.jpg

ss_file-4a6238d18e04b432dc743e0cd1d96ccf425c19a9.jpg

The AI players duked it out hand to hand at the bridge over Bull Run Creek. I tried to get a screen shot that captured the gorefest, but I couldn't. There were at least 2,000 bodies stacked on top of each other in that little area at the base of the bridge.

I tried the civil war mod beta. It was pretty cool. The uniforms were inaccurate (just meshed together ETW clothing items), but the huge regiments were a plus. I think they were over 400 men... enough to slow my computer down on a full battle, anyway. This mod has real potential as it progresses. I'm also looking forward to the Napoleon expansion.

And for those of you into historical RTS games, if you've played Take Command: 2nd Manassas, or History Channel's Civil War: Battle of Bull Run, the folks who created those two games have been working long and hard on their next release: "Gettysburg: Scourge of War."

It's due out late 09, early '10, and it's going to be great, with multiplayer and co-op options. I have been looking forward to this game for a long, long time.

Has there ever been a decent game of any sorts about the Civil War? If the Gettysburg one is good I'll buy it.

Has there ever been a decent game of any sorts about the Civil War? If the Gettysburg one is good I'll buy it.

Have there!? Absolutely! The Grand-daddy of all Civil War RTS games is going to be Sid Meier's Gettysburg. It's about 12 years old now (God I'm getting old), and I spent countless hours playing that game. Too much fun. Unfortunately I don't think it runs on Vista, so it's retired, always alive in my memory. There was also a sequel, Sid Meier's Antietam that was a lot of fun. Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever played a Sid Meier game that I haven't enjoyed.

The big civil war RTS that I've been playing the last couple of years is Take Command: 2nd Manassas. Very fun game with a mod that let you play the Gettysburg campaign... but here is what I'm really looking forward to...

The same guy who developed Take Command: 2nd Manassas is in the process of beta testing his new game: Scourge of War: Gettysburg . They are hoping to have it on the shelves between November - January, and I cam really, really looking forward to this one. It's going to be a pretty massive game. Videos for it on youtube.