Really wide vdroop gap?

I have that Q6600 overclocked (see the sig system) and in the BIOS, it takes 1.45v to run 10hr prime95 stable. In CPU-Z however, it says it is at 1.392v. That seems like a very large gap to me. When put under stress (like F@H) it pulls down to 1.320 sometimes. That is a little bit scary, as the voltage displayed sometimes goes over a 1 volt difference. Anyone know why?

1.45v to 1.32v is not a 1 volt difference, its a .2volt difference.

but no, to your question, all boards have vdrop (the distance from what you set in the bios to what CPU-z reads) which can be quite large on some boards especially ASUS boards. mine is set 1.41v in bios and it reads 1.312v in CPU-z. also, the voltage does drop during load, sometimes up to .1v as well. so I would say that you don't have a problem, you just have an ASUS board.

I have that Q6600 overclocked (see the sig system) and in the BIOS, it takes 1.45v to run 10hr prime95 stable. In CPU-Z however, it says it is at 1.392v. That seems like a very large gap to me. When put under stress (like F@H) it pulls down to 1.320 sometimes. That is a little bit scary, as the voltage displayed sometimes goes over a 1 volt difference. Anyone know why?

both my asus boards have an adjustment "loadline calibration"...if you enable the loadline calibration it will firm up and offset "some" of the vdroop directly... in other words it stabilizes the vdroop so it doesn't bounce all over the place...at what cost well i'm not certain...? but there's always a tradeoff in physics...!!

well that would explain why cpu-z is reporting 1.35v at load when I have BIOS set to 1.40v haha. Now I don't have to ask that question..

hey, I learned something today! yay!

Well, as long as it's not broken, I'm fine with it. I just don't want it to go up in a puff of smoke one day, or worse, die without a trace as to how. Also, which one displays the ACTUAL voltage my CPU is getting? The bios or CPU-z?

Well, as long as it's not broken, I'm fine with it. I just don't want it to go up in a puff of smoke one day, or worse, die without a trace as to how. Also, which one displays the ACTUAL voltage my CPU is getting? The bios or CPU-z?

both...?? the hardware monitor in the bios power tab "should be" the same as cpu-z...which is different from bios voltage settings...

Also, which one displays the ACTUAL voltage my CPU is getting? The bios or CPU-z?

i've been wondering that one for a long time now, maybe someone that knows a little more about how the mobo/cpu electricity works can chime in and help.

LOL, got the same with my AsRock, but the variance is larger than what you are [email protected] vcore my 'range' for the vcore jumps from as low as 1.40 up to 1.55 under stress testing full load, a huge .15 difference....doesn't seem to hurt the runnings at all.....haven't really paid much attention to it.....

wouldn't it be nice if there was a sensor on the PWM line that read the load and INCREASED v's slightly and automatically under load and conversely REDUCED v's when the demand is not present, one can wish...my DFI 790FX/SB600 M2R holds the volts rather steady compared to the AsRock board, but it has some minor issues with the PWM I don't want to get into right now.....

laterzzzz..............

Edited by bldegle2

My board gets worse when I push my CPU higher. 3.33 GHz leaves me with a vdroop of just over .03 volts...3.6 GHz nets me a .08 volt swing. -_-