Power Supply Blew Up

Pretty self explanatory... Came home and hit the power button and... BZZZT! Tripped the circuit breaker and got a strong whiff of smoke.

Smelled like it was coming from the PSU, so I ripped it open and found this. I'm not sure if it's from the connection or the component next to it (capacitor?) which does have some scaring.

Anywho, hooked up a new PSU and I get nothing... crap. <_< I wonder how much damage this is... I know I'm out a motherboard at the very least.

It hard to make out from the photograph but is that the mains input into the board? It looks like a bad crimp on the connector, it happens, that has finally given up the ghost. What power supply is that? Is it the Etasis 850W?

Cheers

Paul

Edited by paulktreg

It hard to make out from the photograph but is that the mains input into the board? It looks like a bad crimp on the connector, it happens, that has finally given up the ghost. What power supply is that? Is it the Etasis 850W?

Cheers

Paul

Indeed it is the Etasis. I checked the inside of the connector (which is the mains) and it does not look like it sparked inside, seems to be on the outside - however, the component definitely feels scarred.

Argh!

It is a pretty blurry picture, but you say the connector is scorched on the outside and looks fine inside?

Anyway, it looks as though a component near the connector may have overheated? Those greenish (not too healthy looking) things look like they could be Thermistors, or disc capacitors. Hard to tell.

Hopefully the problem means just a dead PSU and nothing else got taken with it.

Just an update. I do have life. In my haste I did not seat the main connector properly the first time (after which I gave up and walked off). Looks like the PSU took itself and only itself out, which makes sense... these things should have some sort of protection right?

Anywho, it's no biggie. I'm just happy my stuff works. In all honesty it's probably my fault after reassembling it a couple years ago.