Spare Parts

alexvision

I recently got given some old parts from a friend, i thought i could use them to make a bit torrent machine (one that i can run 24/7 and keep it in the corner downloading) but as i pieced it together, i found that the board powers up, but i don't get any video, i tried 3 different agp cards in it (all x8 though) and 2 pci cards, which i know all work with no success. I'm thinking that the motherboard may not support agp x8 but doesn't support pci graphics as a default but im not sure.

The board is a Gigabyte GA-7VTXE, with an AMD A socket chip(don't have a clue which one), 256k of unknown ddr ram, and hopefully a nVidia FX 5600

Any ideas would be appreciated

this may seem like a silly question...but does the motherboard have onboard graphics that you can try to see if you can get video?

have you tested the memory with memtest86?

Yeah it's a definite possibility that the BIOS are set to initialize the onboard video and not the Video Card. That be easily changed of course.

it has no onboard graphics, although that was one of my thoughts when i was trying to fix it. and the memory was pulled out of another working computer so i don't think that that is the problem

Edited by alexvision

Hmm, it doesn't appear that the motherboard has onboard video.

It is only AGP 4x, so, running an 8x card might be problematic. I think the completely incompatible parts came from different voltages (they put keys into the slot / card such that they can only fit in certain arrangements...but apparently some may not be keyed properly)

I'd start off by attempting a CMOS clear (if there aren't jumpers, remove the CMOS battery for a little while). Then try each PCI slot / AGP slot. I'd also try different RAM slots while you're at it.

Are you getting any error beeps?

I thought the agp card may be the problem. ill clear the cmos, and try again tommorow. the odd thing was that the were no error beeps so im guessing that it hasn't found a problem and is booting to the bios, i just cant see it.

I recently got given some old parts from a friend, i thought i could use them to make a bit torrent machine (one that i can run 24/7 and keep it in the corner downloading) but as i pieced it together, i found that the board powers up, but i don't get any video, i tried 3 different agp cards in it (all x8 though) and 2 pci cards, which i know all work with no success. I'm thinking that the motherboard may not support agp x8 but doesn't support pci graphics as a default but im not sure.

The board is a Gigabyte GA-7VTXE, with an AMD A socket chip(don't have a clue which one), 256k of unknown ddr ram, and hopefully a nVidia FX 5600

Any ideas would be appreciated

have you downloaded the manual for that board from gigabytes site?

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Mother...?ProductID=1310

check the specifications on the AGP/PCI slots to make sure the cards you are trying are compatible with them...

If you tried a PCI video card and still had no video I'd lean towards something else being wrong.

I had a similar problem with a build I had a while back... thought the board was trash... no mater what video card I put in it would not give me a display.... I finally changed the processor after doing a CMOS clear..... and after that every video card I tried worked.... Then I put the orginal processor back in it and it worked fine..... not sure what the exact problem was.... but I was thankful that it worked. You just don't come across those NF7-s boards anymore....