Whats My Temp? I Mean Really What Is It?

ebarone

OK so I was wondering as I sit here at work, HWMonitor on my home computer reports a max of 66 deg C for my E8400 @4.05GHz. I was told by a friend a while back "HWMonitor is what I use, its so easy! Its made by the same people who did CPU-Z!" and so I downloaded it. Lo and behold, it was very easy, very simple, and very compact just like CPU-Z, so I've been using it to monitor my CPU temps. It even gives the GPU temp, which is great. However....

I remember hearing/reading someone who said SpeedFan is specially calibrated for Core 2 Duo processors, so just now I downloaded SpeedFan, HWMonitor, BlackBox (I think a HWM spinoff) and CoreTemp 0.99.3 (I see lots of people using that). Testing these on my non-overclocked work computer, my results are:

temps.jpg

As you can see, SpeedFan reports 5-6 degrees higher than HWMonitor and CoreTemp for the cores, and the same value for the T_case (CPU).

Obviously BlackBox doesnt know whats going on too well, so I wont bother using that, but which one should I use for my comp at home?? Obviously these temp differences dont matter on my work comp, since they arent pushing the envelope whatsoever, but my comp at home is. If HWMonitor says 66 under full load, that means to me I still have a little bit of room to go higher. But that also means that SpeedFan would report 72 under full load, which would mean I need to back off asap.

So in which Temps do I trust???

I use Core Temp, but I had to manually adjust the settings to get it to read correctly. The Tjunction Max Offset needs to be set to -10 for my Q9450 I believe. I also use Real Temp which needs a TJ Max of 95 for my Q9450. Those are what I've heard around the forums. I'm not sure if that's for all 45 nm chips (would include the E8400), or just 45nm quads. I believe Road Runner was the one I got those numbers from. Let's hope he pops in here.

Where are you R-R???

Appears speedfan is using 105 as the Tj-max, making it read 5 degrees higher. All the other temps are reading the same (using 100 Tj-max), just not being refreshed as quick, so you'll see a slight difference.

Tj-max @ 100 is where I read my E8500 temps.

I use Core Temp, but I had to manually adjust the settings to get it to read correctly. The Tjunction Max Offset needs to be set to -10 for my Q9450 I believe. I also use Real Temp which needs a TJ Max of 95 for my Q9450. Those are what I've heard around the forums. I'm not sure if that's for all 45 nm chips (would include the E8400), or just 45nm quads. I believe Road Runner was the one I got those numbers from. Let's hope he pops in here.

Where are you R-R???

i trust core temp on our dell/amd machine....!! B:) and yep manual adjustment too...!! same here...

Having researched it a bunch more, I think HWMonitor and the programs that report the same number are right. I had no idea about the inner workings of it all until I read a guide on TomsHardware that someone posted. Apparently its all got to do with Tjmax. I'm confused somewhat as to the proper Tjmax value for the E8400, I've seen people claim 95, 100, and 105, but 100 seems to be the most widely accepted value, so I'll go with that. HWMonitor uses 100 as Tjmax, as does CoreTemp. Also, using 100 as Tjmax yeilds a delta of about 5C between the case and core temps, which is what its supposed to be according to a guy in the TH forums.

Thanks for the input everyone, although if someone wants to definitively tell me what the Tjmax should be for an E8400, I would appreciate it a lot :D

That would be wonderful, but I'd be scared to use 95 at the upper end of the aircooling spectrum. Five degrees can make a huge difference in how much voltage I decide to add, how far I take my overclock, etc... How confident are you? Or has anyone else used 95 with >60 degree temps?

That would be wonderful, but I'd be scared to use 95 at the upper end of the aircooling spectrum. Five degrees can make a huge difference in how much voltage I decide to add, how far I take my overclock, etc... How confident are you? Or has anyone else used 95 with >60 degree temps?

I think all 45nm intels are all measured with 95 TJmax. I know my Q9450 is

you guys do know that intel released the official tjmax for the e8*00 series and e7*00 series right?

the tjmax is 100C for all those chips. And for the Q8*00 and Q9*00 series it's also 100C.

Link

Oh, and btw, the newest version of RealTemp accurately sets the tjMax of these processors.

Edited by turophiliac

you guys do know that intel released the official tjmax for the e8*00 series and e7*00 series right?

the tjmax is 100C for all those chips. And for the Q8*00 and Q9*00 series it's also 100C.

Link

Oh, and btw, the newest version of RealTemp accurately sets the tjMax of these processors.

Real temp set it to 95 for my Q9450...