My New Q9450

Onion

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I put 1.5v in mine (bios) which runs at 1.44v at load in windows. Hasn't died on me yet, just cool the fella down that's all. I'm currently encoding a movie and I'm only running at 53 degrees on all the cores. I usually run about 56 at 100% load.

post-20152-1231817203_thumb.jpg

I won't exceed 1.5v in the bios but I'm not afraid to set it there and let the processor take what it wants.

You know, I have heard a lot of people say things to the effect of voltage kills chips, overclocking lowers the life expectancy of the CPU, etc etc.. I've never heard any horror stories about that though. Has anyone ever actually had a chip die prematurely due to overclocking/overvoltage? I dont mean like a couple days after it was clocked, I just want to have a ballpark number for how long I can expect my CPU to live after being heavily OC'd :D (Apologies for off topic post) Anyone have any stories/know of it happening to friends?

You know, I have heard a lot of people say things to the effect of voltage kills chips, overclocking lowers the life expectancy of the CPU, etc etc.. I've never heard any horror stories about that though. Has anyone ever actually had a chip die prematurely due to overclocking/overvoltage? I dont mean like a couple days after it was clocked, I just want to have a ballpark number for how long I can expect my CPU to live after being heavily OC'd :D (Apologies for off topic post) Anyone have any stories/know of it happening to friends?

even if it lowers it's life expentency from like 10-6 years or like 6-2 years or even less. I doubt I'd have this computer more than 1 year and definitely not longer than 2 years because it would be so slow compared to what's out in 1-2 years. even overclocked to it's current amount.

Sure I'd LIKE for it to live longer than that, but most likely I will just sell it off to someone. I only keep one desktop and one laptop at a time. I usually change computers when I am able to get about 50% more performance over each component in my computer, only then is it worth it to me.

1.5 volts on a 45 nm quad like the Q9450 will kill it in more or less a year. Overclocking won't do anything, it's just adding more voltage. If you can get 4 ghz stable at stock vcore (lucky!) your chip will last just as long.

roadrunner said something earlier in this very thread

He had a Q6600 I believe. He severely overvolted it for forum wars and it died within 6 months or something. The 45 nm chips are even more sensitive to voltage. For safe 24/7 operation I would try to stay under 1.4V. 1.3625 is what Intel claims is the safest maximum. I would assume that if you put it up to 1.3625 it would last more than 3 years as Intel says that voltage is safe and the warranty is 3 years.

i generally keep it under 1.4v for 45nm intel. i7 can take more apparently.

cpu's dont die from high voltage, they die from extreme voltage. usually a chip degrades and will stop working properly at set speed, but usually if cooled properly during its span, would operate at lower frequency normally.

I've killed a socket A cpu with too much voltage, but since then, no more deaths. Also, cpu's last much MUCH longer than a few years...

Edited by RHKCommander959