Seagate Warranty Rma

Compxpert

Well I have to say I really do like having AHCI functionality on my mobo because lately my one 300 gig just stops showing up all together in My Computer and even disk management. So every so often I keep having to unplug power to it and replug to get the drive to show again. I'm about tired of it now so I decided to give their RMA process a try. I was impressed after going to Seagate's site how easy it was to find where you check for warranty validity. Of course I immediately found it was valid... warranty not even up till April 2011. So went to RMA it... what really got me was they offer advanced RMA which I'm not sure many manufacturers do....(I know OCZ recently started it) Anyway it was only $19.99 and they ship it in a box u can return the other in w/ prepaid shipping and I even got 1-2 day for free. I gotta say great RMA process and props to Seagate.

A while back I had to RMA a WD HDD back-to-back 3 times over 2 months and out of those 3 times they offered me an advance replacement at no charge so unless things have changed since then my experience with WD and their services was a great one.

Edited by werty316

Just got my replacement drive... For $19 this was worth it... I did advanced replacement on a 300gig and got a 320gig from them.... Pretty nice huh?

yeah I might need to contact them in order to get my Momentus laptop 320gb fixed.

now my momentus works again lol, I did a full backup just in case though. Maybe the motor was stuck or something, i kept plugging it in and out of the usb port until it fired up again, it even works in my laptop too hahaha. I wonder how much longer it'll continue to work, or if it just scared me like that to make sure I backup my work.

• 2 weeks later...

$19 for an advanced replacement with prepaid shipping sounds rather good, last time I had to return a drive even ground shipment was $10 so there is half the cost of the advance replacement. One caveat, keep the tracking number! I had returned a drive a while ago, and was told it never arrived, and they charged my credit card for the full retail price of the drive (I could have bought 2 and returned 1 with what they charged). When I questioned them, they said it never arrived, I checked the tracking number, and had the date time and the name of the person that signed for it. Needless to say they reversed the charge the next day.

Wow, i didn't know about this advanced RMA ;) On the other hand I didn't have much occasions to RMA my seagates ;) (though i did RMA a few of my WDs :( )

I wonder how does Samsung's RMA work ;) I have only bad experience with samsung. Their drives just keep failing more often than seagate's or WD's ;| (I don't buy them personally, but some of my friends did and they had some problems with their drives - a coincidence perhaps?)

This is why I switched to Seagate...on that faithful day my Maxtor just wiped out of nowhere losing a ton of important documents. I still grieve up till now. :(

You know, Seagates aren't flawless either. I've been selling them since about 1,5year and quite a few were RMA'd because of BAD SECTORS. AFAIK Maxtor's drives failed very often back then but I don't recollect many with BAD SECTORS though.

The sudden wiping the drive out of data is mainly caused (from my research) by a BAD SECTOR in partition table. A chkdsk in windows usually restores everything and marks bad sectors, so that it is still possible to copy the data.