I7 Tlb Error

Confirmed by Intel

We were told that Intel's Nehalem, the CPU that we know as Core i7 has TLB. TLB, three letters that have destroyed the sales of Phenom and Opterons based on 65nm K10 cores, stands for Translation Lookaside Buffer, and Intel officialy states in its Intel Core i7 Processor, Extreme Edition Series and Intel Core i7 Processor - Specification Update PDF, that the CPU has a TLB bug.

If you open Intel

its popping up all over on news and review sites not just forums.

looks like BIOS revisions to correct....the BIOS updates were issued 11-14-08, so that means it was updated before the i7 hit the shelves right? so it looks like the fixes are bios and software related. nothing to really worry about i wouldnt think.

Edited by robAP

its popping up all over on news and review sites not just forums.

looks like BIOS revisions to correct....the BIOS updates were issued 11-14-08, so that means it was updated before the i7 hit the shelves right? so it looks like the fixes are bios and software related. nothing to really worry about i wouldnt think.

Thats what they said about the k10 and look what happened there.

different chip, different company. wait and see what happens. i'm not gonna go running around with a match lit in my hand shouting "i'm on fire!" until i'm fully engulfed in flames.

Confirmed by Intel

We were told that Intel's Nehalem, the CPU that we know as Core i7 has TLB. TLB, three letters that have destroyed the sales of Phenom and Opterons based on 65nm K10 cores, stands for Translation Lookaside Buffer, and Intel officialy states in its Intel Core i7 Processor, Extreme Edition Series and Intel Core i7 Processor - Specification Update PDF, that the CPU has a TLB bug.

If you open Intel

It's quite amusing that a similar error would pop up like this. Who knew virtual memory could be such a pain? :D

Of course, the OS/chipset manages the TLB, so it's relatively easy to fix. The K10 bug was bad because it was an actual hardware error. I bet Intel just isn't keeping within specs on the i7.

Quick question - does anyone know what the TLB does without actually Googling it? :)