Crt May Be Better Than Lcd

curt234

You know what's sad? There's a whole generation of kids out there scratching their heads wondering what the hell we're talking about with this CRT nonsense :lol:

I don't think we're quite at that point yet, but give it 10 years.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know what's sad? There's a whole generation of kids out there scratching their heads wondering what the hell we're talking about with this CRT nonsense :lol:

Face it - you and Steve are OLD.

:lol:

I bet there are plenty of kids out there who have never used a floppy disk and never will.

Face it - you and Steve are OLD.

:lol:

I bet there are plenty of kids out there who have never used a floppy disk and never will.

What about CRTs that were green / black or orangish yellow / black? :lol:

Those were...fun :rolleyes: I'm glad that some technologies have died ;)

w00t for the A-Team!

lol floppy disks, my first computer had a 5 1/4" floppy drive AND a 3.5" floppy drive. heh, and for that matter, i had a HUGE 2GB HDD.

/off topic

actually i didn't have much to add to the original topic, this just caught my eye :D

:lol: at all the old people in this thread...

I must confess to my first computer having a 5 1/4 drive, no hard disk and a two tone green display though :P

I can't see CRT dying out anytime soon, at least in the professional market. Not even OLED can come close to a properly calibrated CRT's colour accuracy.

Well I do use a LCD primarily, but not for everything. The main advantage is that you've got a 1:1 pixel representation of the data, however that's only valid with digital methods, so if you're working with analogue video I'd say not to use a LCD if at all possible. I still check everything on a CRT and vectorscope for colour and luminance - even if it's a fancy screen that claims to reproduce 95% of all colours (like my Dell, or the JVC and Sony ones I use at uni) it's a fairly inaccurate claim made from weighted testing, not real-world performance. It's the same with speakers... power ratings are always 2 hour pink noise or something like that. Also, if you plonk a high-quality CRT and LCD side by side, the differences become quite obvious, especially if you're not positioned exactly correctly. Another major thing is the scan rate. Lots of people claim they can't tell the difference, but I reckon I can tell the difference between 24 and 25 progressive frames - with an LCD you're limited to the scan rate that the computer sets, so this screen I'm using has 60, 70 or 75Hz, none of which is a multiple of 24 or 25. It's a non-issue for most people, but as a lot of my work revolves around technical aspects of the medium I'm using, being able to see something at 24, 25, 50 or 100Hz is a must. It's very rare, but I've seen judder at 24 when printed to film that isn't visible when shown on a 50i monitor.

There's probably some other inconsequential reasons I could bring up, but it's late and I've had quite a bit to drink :lol: