Queenz Case Painting Worklog

Isn't the Lexa a red case?

The only thing red in that case is the led, and the front hardware monitor screen. But I switched all of that out.

@ekim: So what color do you suggest I do the accent pieces then? I got white cold cathodes inside, white power led, and that's it pretty much. I thought white matches everything :)

What about chrome?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chrome would be pretty sweet, and would match your Infiniti PC theme (haha)

-Ultimately it's up to you, it just didn't really sound like your style when I read the post :P

chrome with white lights lol... make it as bright as possible! stick more white cathodes in there until it's brighter than the sun :lol:

wouldn't that annoy you having a PC dazzling bright?

As long as you run a cleaning cycle afterwards any normal oven will work fine for powder coating. :)

Let's just say that you probably don't want what happens when the plastic (polyester / acrylic / etc) powder falls off of the part, lands on the electric heating element, and burns. You probably don't want that in your house, or in your food.

Toaster ovens outside are good ideas...although, finding one large enough to fit case panels might be a task.

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/general-t...-home-oven.html

http://www.alpharubicon.com/leo/powdercoatingixupi.htm

Oven or Heat Lamp – oven is easiest, but should NEVER be used for food after powder coating

http://www.allpar.com/fix/holler/powder-coat.html

Last, you need an oven. Do not use your kitchen oven for powder coating. The fumes will linger in the oven and when you cook your next dinner, your food will be tainted. This stuff will make you rather sick and the food won’t taste too good either. I got a used oven for free just by watching the local papers. In fact, I have a spare stove in the shed that someone is welcome to come and get for free.

http://www.fivestarpowdercoating.com/How-to-Powder-coat.html

Finally, fully cure the piece in an oven at 375-400 degrees for 15-25 minutes. Make sure you use a dedicated oven. One thing we make sure to tell a powder coating do it yourself-er is don't use your mother or wife's brand new Viking oven. Once your oven is used for powder coating, you won't be able to use it ever again to cook food in!

:withstupid: I still don't see what you are failing to understand about this guys. I used a friggin FULL-sized electric oven out in my car port with an extension cord. I bought the oven at a thrift-store for fifteen dollars, but it wasn't a toaster oven. After I used it to powder-coat a water pump and valve covers I threw the oven in a dumpster. I may be a red-neck, but I ain't stupid. There I hope thats enough of an explanation this time. Edited by ocmooz

Chrome would be pretty sweet, and would match your Infiniti PC theme (haha)

-Ultimately it's up to you, it just didn't really sound like your style when I read the post :P

hahaha it's not an Infiniti theme. I just happen to have OEM Infiniti paint, and since it's auto paint I would be more than happy to use it :)

chrome with white lights lol... make it as bright as possible! stick more white cathodes in there until it's brighter than the sun :lol:

wouldn't that annoy you having a PC dazzling bright?

Yeah it would be annoying I guess. I use to have two white cold cathodes but I took it out as it was annoying the hell out of me. It looked like a nuclear fusion inside my case lol. I like looks but I'm not into the whole green, blue, red cold cathodes theme. I'm more for performance with simple elegant looks, which is why I choose white or black cause it's just plain, simple, and too the point :)

And BTW with white light you see more detail in your case as opposed to other cathode lighting ;)

I actually woke up at 4 this morning. It looks like it will not be raining no more, YAY!! I can actually try to start with priming

I primed as much as I could this morning. It's chilly and kind of windy outside today which got me worried about painting but everything came out nice. Damn this auto primer dries real damn fast like what it says on the can :). I actually ran out of primer. I gave each piece 3 coats to be safe and not one run or drop. It's freaking smooth as hell! I used an old chair from the backyard and my mom's new broom she bought last week for sweeping outside lol, I got primer all over it. Here you guys go:

DSC00207-3.jpg

DSC00209-2.jpg

DSC00208-3.jpg

DSC00205-2.jpg

DSC00206-2.jpg

DSC00213-2.jpg

DSC00214-3.jpg

DSC00212-3.jpg

I was actually surprised that not one spec of dust flew onto it. As you can see in this picture below, the surface came out quite nice:

DSC00211-1.jpg

Another surface shot:

DSC00210-3.jpg

Well now I have to run out and get more primer today. And I need some more painting tape. BTW guys remember when painting that it's always better to lay the paint down lighter instead of thick, otherwise your going to get drips, runs, and bubbles.

Hey, don't you have a garage? Wouldn't it be a lot easier to just put some plastic down and paint in there? Did you remember to plug the "ATX" holes for your standoffs?

I think we're finally all on the same page with the powder coating. Cheap ovens ftw.