Queenz Case Painting Worklog

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Next off taping

I got thirsty and finished a 2 liter lol.....

DSC002052.jpg

Anyways grab yourself some masking tape or painters tape:

DSC002062.jpg

Cover the parts of the case you don't want to get paint on. In my case it will be the top and bottom part of the case.

Start off wit the top first(BEFORE):

DSC002072.jpg

Result for the top (AFTER):

DSC00209.jpg

Now the bottom (BEFORE):

DSC002142.jpg

Result of the bottom (AFTER):

DSC002152.jpg

DSC002162.jpg

So far so good :thumbs-up:

Might want to redo the top tape job. Looks like you pulled the tape tight over the fan grill which is fine for the grill itself but paint is going to leak through the screw holes.

Painting the HD cage area is going to be a huge PITA...Mind if I ask how you're going to go about painting? I know I'm jumping ahead but I'm curious if you got rattle can stuff or something else.

I'm using all auto paint. And the screw holes underneath have been all taped, so no leakage of paint.

This is the paint I will be using:

2x of OEM Infiniti M45 Black Obsidian Auto Paint (I actually had this already from my moms car)

1x of DuPli Color Sandable Filler Primer

2x of DuPli Color Clear top Clearcoat Spray

No sanding is needed before laying down the primer cause the surface is already smooth enough. There is a ton of steps I will be doing to make sure I get paint gun like results so I prefer not to write them all out yet cause I want to be specific about this. I'm going to seriously watch what I am doing and do even sprays and a nice layout of the paint. My main focus isn't laying down the paint thick cause I will be giving it a couple of coats.

But see thats what I'm getting at. I have no problem in removing them, it's just when I remove them it will scratch the inside of the case and I have to also go out and buy new ones cause it will most likely break the rivets.

I assume your household has a drill and a set of drill bits.

Drill the rivets out, it's really easy and you don't scratch the case, you just drill into the centre... easy

Then go buy a pop-rivet gun and some rivets... it's a really cheap hand tool, and rivets are cheap... I think I got a gun for like

Its your mod bud, but I agree with NRG. I broke my ENTIRE case down, taking pictures before so I could refer to for re-assembly). Not taking the cages out is just going to pi$$ you off later. Drill the center of the rivets out, paint and rivet back together. I can not stress how much more rewarding it will be.

I am sure you would hate to get the clear stage and notice a lip on the bottom of the cage you missed or over spray on finished parts trying to completely paint the cage.

Its your mod bud, but I agree with NRG. I broke my ENTIRE case down, taking pictures before so I could refer to for re-assembly). Not taking the cages out is just going to pi$$ you off later. Drill the center of the rivets out, paint and rivet back together. I can not stress how much more rewarding it will be.

I am sure you would hate to get the clear stage and notice a lip on the bottom of the cage you missed or over spray on finished parts trying to completely paint the cage.

I don't know whats wrong I popped those bit pieces out in the center of the rivets and the drive cage still won't move

The rivet is two pieces. The head or nail and the flange. You drilled out the nail; now all you have to do is remove the flange. You can cut the back side of the rivet with a set of wire cutters or dykes (opposite the flange) and push the flange out. Try stepping your bit up to the next size. Normally when your situation occurs the drill is a bit undersized.

I am betting you are using a 1/8" drill. I use a 3/16" drill to catch more of the flange. Almost every time the rivet flange ends up around my drill and not left in the case.

Edit:

I would post a couple pics of my deconstruction / recontruction, but sadly I can not figure out why they will not show up "sigh"

Edited by Fanatic