Tried X58, Core I7

How much harder would it be for developers to design multi-threaded games?

It's so much that it would be "harder" per se, I'd imagine the reason having to do with the entire purpose of a dedicated graphics card. Yes, the CPU will always have a good deal of work ahead of it whenever a game is played, but I can't see a game benefiting (purposefully) from more than two cores, simply because majority of the workload is passed off to the GPU, and it's still within sight that Nvidia and ATi want the GPU to handle all related tasks with the GPGPU.

I'm not professing this opinion to be factual, it's merely how I'd see it.

Now with the new cpu's its real confusing to is it worth to go from 775 to i7 cpus. Its hard to tell which is faster like 775 cpus rated at 3.0 ghz and i7 are rated at 2.66ghz and you dont know the clock cycle. And isn't the cpu run directly through ram not northbridge or something like that. Imagine oc those i7's and pumping to much voltage in them good bye cpu good bye ram :( only prob i c with these cpu's oh yeh and price :( 700 for cheapest one rofl whos gunna pay that and mobo 500 aussie dollars though

Isn't it under $300 for the introductory i7?

Now with the new cpu's its real confusing to is it worth to go from 775 to i7 cpus. Its hard to tell which is faster like 775 cpus rated at 3.0 ghz and i7 are rated at 2.66ghz and you dont know the clock cycle. And isn't the cpu run directly through ram not northbridge or something like that. Imagine oc those i7's and pumping to much voltage in them good bye cpu good bye ram :( only prob i c with these cpu's oh yeh and price :( 700 for cheapest one rofl whos gunna pay that and mobo 500 aussie dollars though

I'll provide you with the same piece of advice I gave tacohunter52, upgrading to Core i7 as of right now provides no real benefit that warrants a new board, RAM, and a CPU altogether. If you're a heavy user, as in you edit/encodes videos, edit photos, etc...than Core i7 is definitely worth the upgrade. If you're mostly a gamer the benefit (and the little there is) is mitigated by the need of an entirely new platform.

Stick with 775 for the time being and wait until Intel follows up with more models and LGA 1160 which will fit into the mainstream (mid-range) segment.

like the reviews said, the only benefit right now is when doing work, not play. encoding DVD's, crunching numbers, high math scenarios.....i would LOVE to see one of these things folding. but its designed for work and not gaming. the overclock mystery will be solved before too long, especially when the after-market boards show up. 775 will still be very viable for a period of time longer than you think. shoot my 939 setup is still doing fairly well really. my upgrade is going to be a well OC'd 775 this winter and that will better the i7 gaming performance severely, and it will hold even if not just a bit above it in actual working or encoding and folding. all for less wattage than what i'm burning now. I'm betting on the multi-threaded gaming coming along in a while but not hitting really big till 2 years. about the time for me to change over. By then I'll probably not be that into gaming anymore so well see then...

Edited by robAP