Desigining New Build Need Oppinion On This Nvidia Build List

nightsider

just been thinking about giving nvidia a nother chance so i thought i would see what i could have a go with,

what would this build provide me with under the following:

encodeing a dvd

playing crysis all settings maxed out

verry high res

and using torrent's in the background

the build:

cpu: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550, Yorkfield Core

mobo: EVGA 132-CK-NF78-A1, NF780i SLI, 775, PCI-E 2.0

ram: 4GB (2x2GB) Corsair Dominator DDR2 PC2-8500

hdd

system: 500 GB Western Digital WD5000AAJS Caviar Blue, SATA 300, 7200 rpm, 8MB Cache, 8.9 ms

storage: 1TB (1000 GB) Samsung HD103UJ Spinpoint F1, SATA 300, 7200 rpm, 32MB Cache, 8.9 ms

graphics cards (two in sli): 512MB EVGA 9800 GTX+ SC, PCI-E 2.0 (x16), 2246MHz GDDR3, GPU 778MHz, 128 Cores, 2x DL DVI-I/ HDTV

the system and storage drives could be swaped arround and i need a decent PSU to power the build

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am pretty positive that that build would get u solid framerates (around 40+ fps) in crysis on high at 1920x1200 but no higher. crysis runs best on nvidia cards in sli so if your goal is just to play crysis this build is a pretty good choice of setups. I'm building a similar rig except i am getting the 750i chipset mobo rather than 780i because tri-sli doesn't really work well with crysis from what I've read.

Who care's about crysis? It's a pointless benchmark for your computer. And why 'give Nvidia another chance' buying nvidia just for the sake of it is also pointless, you should consider the Ait options and buy based on the best performance for the money.

Also, this PSU is great value at the moment. So yea, find the card that suits you best (and i bet it isnt 2x 9800GTX+) ditch the nvidia motherboard and save a few quid on the cpu. Remember money you save now could be spent on upgrades in maybe 1 years time which would be more benifical.

Who care's about crysis? It's a pointless benchmark for your computer. And why 'give Nvidia another chance' buying nvidia just for the sake of it is also pointless, you should consider the Ait options and buy based on the best performance for the money.

Also, this PSU is great value at the moment. So yea, find the card that suits you best (and i bet it isnt 2x 9800GTX+) ditch the nvidia motherboard and save a few quid on the cpu. Remember money you save now could be spent on upgrades in maybe 1 years time which would be more benifical.

i dont mean to seem impolite here but i am just a little exhausted over reading people telling other people to buy ATI..ATI hold the $200 and $300 markets..not the high end stuff

so they got a dual GPU 4870x2 that out performs a single gtx 280 by a small amount (and with gtx 280 price drops the 4870x2 costs alot more) then if we REALLY want to get into detail, 2 4870x2's in XfireX will lose out to 3 GTX 280's in TRI SLI, and according the newegg pricing the 3 gtx 280's will only cost you $40 extra and it also gives you quite a significant boost in performance over 2 4870x2's

I am and always will be a nvidia fan boy, but i agree with alot of people about ATI..their price to performance cant be beat..it doesnt mean they have the best performance at all..they just have the best performance for the money

btw, this wasnt directed at you compdude2 i just needed to get it off my chest

as for the relation to this thread, if the OP wants to buy a nvidia rig, then more power too him, buy a gtx 280 or 2 and max crysis out, i would if i had the money

Edited by Whatislove

Who care's about crysis? It's a pointless benchmark for your computer. And why 'give Nvidia another chance' buying nvidia just for the sake of it is also pointless.

Crysis? Is that the only game you play? Maybe have a larger horizon for games of choice. Not to say you are being focused on just this one game.

Benchmark? I agree. I personally benchmarking as a whole is pointless. Stress testing would be my game.

Giving nVidia another chance just for the sake of it? I totally agree.

--------------------------------

Not much help to offer here and I'm probably going to get beatin' with a stick but just to keep from getting a welt, I can run Crysis with my current rig with no problems at all. Though I am not running at high res though (1680x1050).

It's not just a benchmark, but a game! And I'm pretty sure the OP is talking about playing the game, not the benchmark.

Heh, well i didnt mean a 'benchmark' like a test you run and get a score at the end, but as a 'level' if you like, (trying not to use benchmark again lol) , that the computer must perform to. Running UT3 and crysis are completely different things.

And no offence taken Whatislove, what you say is true i just rekoned he should look at some other options because 2x 9800GTX+'s are really a great choice (like you could have a 9800GX2 and not have the inevitable hassle associated with SLI)