Anyone See This? Vista Vs. Xp Video Performance -

Waco

I don't know honestly. When I was on 32 bit I only had my 2900XT and it pretty much sucked whenever FSAA was enabled in both XP and Vista. :lol:

My card handles aa like a champ. And mine uses the same core as yours did... :blink:

Very interesting article. ATI seems to hold a clear lead in terms of max gaming performance and quality. Makes sense to get a 4870 if you have vista now.

And I love my vista 64, I can't go back to 32 now.

Edited by Crow47

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i like how they dont even state what bit the os is.

:blink: it's on the first page...

Software config:

# OS: Windows XP SP3 and Windows Vista SP1 64-bit

# NVIDIA Drivers: Forceware 177.41

# ATI Drivers: Catalyst 8.8 (8.52.2)

My card handles aa like a champ. And mine uses the same core as yours did... :blink:

At 1920x1080 mine couldn't handle AA on very many recent games. :closedeyes:

It was plenty fast without AA though. :lol:

this happens to me almost daily.

anyways dx10 is in unreal engine games but since only vista supports that its hard to find someone who has seen both, yeah the water looks a little better but nothing else.

yes i do seem to complain about vista alot and i'll keep it to myself in till someone comes along and asks what OS they should get. but seriously from vista beta to SP1 (which i am using) and different rigs i have not had vista run any better than windows ME. lucky for me i still have win 64x for my work.

anyways dx10 is in unreal engine games but since only vista supports that its hard to find someone who has seen both, yeah the water looks a little better but nothing else.

yes i do seem to complain about vista alot and i'll keep it to myself in till someone comes along and asks what OS they should get. but seriously from vista beta to SP1 (which i am using) and different rigs i have not had vista run any better than windows ME. lucky for me i still have win 64x for my work.

I still think vista is trash, and I have to use it on a daily basis. Driver conflicts, program crashes, lower overclock tolerances, still mysterious and unresolved performance hits in benchmarks(3dmark01 and aquamark3, I'm looking at you...). I am also still just baffled that an OS can use over a gig of ram doing nothing, just idle on desktop :rolleyes: .

Main PC is still XP pro. There is not much better IMO then an optimized and maintained copy of XP Pro. I thought about going to Windows 2000 for a while since its very fast and rarely ever crashes, but I do not want to have to switch all my programs since MS is so anal about downgrading and I would need to format.

Soon I will be running a few tests on a clean drive with dual boot XP 64 and Vista 64 to do some head to head, unbiased testing using all the same hardware with fresh installs. I expect XP to be faster in a majority of tests based on my personal experiences, but I will do everything equal without skewing results. Neither OS will have any shady system tweaks done. It will probably be at least a month before I get the time to start setting everything up, but I'll keep you guys posted and be willing to take suggestions for tests. I might even add a third partition with windows 2000 or a server distro just for fun :lol:.

If I find my own proof that vista has indeed increased enough in performance and stability to warrant it, I may consider switching to Vista Ultimate 64bit.

That's a DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error and that means you've most likely got an unstable OC or bad hardware. Turn off auto-reboot on blue screen if you want to see the full error without having to look it up.

Unreal Engine 3 supports DX10 extensions. Unreal Tournament 3 doesn't use any of them. It's a DX9 game.

I'd love to use 64-bit Vista, but alas, I have hardware that doesn't have 64-bit Vista drivers, only 32-bit :(

Like what? I don't see anything in your sig that isn't supported in 64 bit other than maybe the sound card...

i found audigy 2 drivers for my card but it wasn't easy but i'v found alot of NIC cards not having vista drivers, yeah you can use realtek drivers but its nothing better than onboard NIC.

man Thewacokid you really like defending vista and i don't get why.