Modding A Dell

I have a Dell OPTIPLEX GX 150... I have changed the heatsink and ducting out and also placed a slot fan in, I am having a hard time modding he case it is the type that opens like a clam hinged with two halves. I would like to add a window and some more circulation the face plate is pretty well set and I dont have the scratch for a new case. ANYONE that has modded this case or something similar that can help in any way would be appreciated...The only reason I got this was cause it was a working unit minus the monitor for $50 I added vid,tv,sound,and other misc upgrades which can be replaced into another system

Thanks for your help

Guy

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I once modded a GX150 for someone else, and also a GX110. You can cut a side panel just the same as any other case, get a good jigsaw and go to work. You can use a dremel to make some holes for more case fans, but I would recommend a hole saw. Take it like any other mod. Get an idea and make it become a reality.

i had a gx series dell that i purchased for 50 bucks.. i sold it to a buddy for bout the same, less the monitor :P ... is it one of those ones with the side out data/daughter board?.. i thought about modding it but that metal frame work attached to the one panel that comes off detered me, tho.. im sure if i took my jigsaw to it, there would have been no problems.. the front panel does come off i believe, there should be a lever at the very to that releases the top portion and then it unclips from the bottom with a little preasure.. if you want to "de-dellify" it a bit more... im sure if you popped out that gx logo and used some plastic bondo you could smooth it over quite easily and hide your patch work with a few good strong coats of paint ... happy modding :D

Edited by KaluMinati