Batman: Arkham Asylum

WhenKittensATK

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no doubt the game will be good, but saying it's the "best game I've ever played" just seems...like the reviewer hasn't played many games. I mean, better than classics like Half-Life or Diablo II or Starcraft, etc etc? Like I said, I haven't played the full game, so obviously I don't know, and I sure hope he's correct, but I'm just highly skeptical of that response. Do you read that gaming magazine a lot? Do they often put out reviews that are right on the money?

I actually subscribe to that magazine, and they really have great reviews that ARE right on the money.

Edited by Jump4h

Bored to tears with the combat, mash a single button and watch Batman do loads of crazy combos, hurray.

Not sure what you mean by that, I thought the combat was pretty good, I mean you can do it like what you said and just keep clicking away and win in hand to hand but you can also mix it up a little bit, besides, I don't think you have that option with boss fights or enemies with range weapon.

Not sure what you mean by that, I thought the combat was pretty good, I mean you can do it like what you said and just keep clicking away and win in hand to hand but you can also mix it up a little bit, besides, I don't think you have that option with boss fights or enemies with range weapon.
What do you mean by mix it up a little? You have a single attack button, and then a counter attack which appears to be useless, as a normal attack will essentially counter them as well. When one of the main aspects of the game is hand to hand combat and all it involves is mashing a single button, I find that rather silly. The enemies with ranged weapons do change it a bit, but then it just turns into "find the conveniently placed grapple point". So in my opinion, and it's nothing more than my opinion, the game appears to be nothing more than a boring casual experience. Edited by Cyrosis

It's a nice pickup game. You don't need to pause it and look at the combo list. Then get frustrated trying to correctly do the combos with a joystick or a horrible D-Pad (360) (Street Fighter 4). So anyone can just pick up the controller and mash away. It opens the game to a bigger audience. They don't need to take about the sequences of buttons need to be press. They can actual enjoy the game pressing only 2 buttons in any order.

Dynasty Warriors is a good example. Same story and gameplay, yet people will always buy new editions. Tekken is the same with certain characters, where you only need to press two buttons randomly and still win. They sell and if you don't like it you could always play something else.

It's a nice pickup game. You don't need to pause it and look at the combo list. Then get frustrated trying to correctly do the combos with a joystick or a horrible D-Pad (360) (Street Fighter 4). So anyone can just pick up the controller and mash away. It opens the game to a bigger audience. They don't need to take about the sequences of buttons need to be press. They can actual enjoy the game pressing only 2 buttons in any order.
Although appealing to the more casual crowd was probably part of the decision, it also has to do with making the player feel like a badass. You're controlling BATMAN! Batman doesn't lose to some lowlife goons.

What do you mean by mix it up a little? You have a single attack button, and then a counter attack which appears to be useless, as a normal attack will essentially counter them as well. When one of the main aspects of the game is hand to hand combat and all it involves is mashing a single button, I find that rather silly. The enemies with ranged weapons do change it a bit, but then it just turns into "find the conveniently placed grapple point". So in my opinion, and it's nothing more than my opinion, the game appears to be nothing more than a boring casual experience.

I'm not saying it will be a challenging game but I doubt it is a simple button masher, if you can button mash the boss fights then I guess it really isn't that good of a game but I doubt you can button mash the bosses. As far as range weapons go, sure it is all point and click with the grappling but that is also part of the combat so I would say that mixes it up from simple button mashing at least.

So far the game is averaging a 95 rating (no PC reviews yet). Since the game's not released, the full reviews don't seem available to read yet, but it looks very promising.

Metacritic 360

Metacritic PS3

Unless they somehow introduce an entirely different game after the demo ends, then I find that absolutely ridiculous. Of course I do hate almost every game that has come out in the last 7 years, so maybe I shouldn't be so surprised. Edited by Cyrosis