Power Supply on/off switch

I bought a cheap power supply to run a couple fans that I'm gonna install in the back of my tv stand. How can I connect the psu to an on/off switch? Detailed instructions would be nice. I'm a decent diy'er if I've got instructions.

Thanks

BTW it made me choose a brand (Antec) but mines not on the list

Which PSU did you get? And stupid question i know, but it doesnt have a rocker switch on the back? I only mention it because you didnt say that it didnt.

TrialByFire

I take it you have bought an ATX power supply for the job. You need to short the green wire to any black wire on the motherboard connector to jump start the power supply. However the power supply may not want to run because you have such a low load and only on the 12V I pressume.

Regards

paulktreg

TrialByFire

I take it you have bought an ATX power supply for the job. You need to short the green wire to any black wire on the motherboard connector to jump start the power supply. However the power supply may not want to run because you have such a low load and only on the 12V I pressume.

Regards

paulktreg

Ditto that

Its a 200W ATX psu. No power switch on the back. Plugging it into a power strip won't work because just having power doesn't turn it on. I want to connect it into a switch. Basically I just need to know which 2 wires to use from the psu to mobo cable. The green and any black will do? Oh, and I will be running 3 80mm 12V fans. Thanks

TrailByFire

Yes just short the green and any black to switch the power supply on but it may not run due to the small load. Take your 12V supply from any yellow cable and any black one.

You would probably be better of with something like this:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=96864&doy=2m5

This one is 15W maximum (12V x 1.25A). I am looking at a 12V Papst in front of me now, it's 4.3W and its quite powerful so I imagine yours will be similar. Just make sure your selected power supply is able to provide the power. The beauty of this one is you can drop the voltage to 9V if you find them noisy.

Regards

paulktreg

Here are the two wires you would connect in order to jump start the power supply;

jumpstart_psu.jpg

However, I don't make any claims as to the safety of your proposal to use the power supply in this manner or your proposed purpose.

Well, it works. I used pins 3 and 4 because I had already done it before you posted wevsspot. (any reason I should change it?) I don't think safety will be an issue. I soldered the connectors to the switch and covered them with electrical tape. Besides, its only a switch and everything will be mounted solidly. Plus its grounded. I was suprised, 3 fans plus the psu fan and its nearly silent. :)

Anyway, thanks for the help guys.

Well, it works. I used pins 3 and 4 because I had already done it before you posted wevsspot. (any reason I should change it?)

You mean pins 4 and 5 right? i.e. green and black?

No reason to change it. As has already been posted you can use any of the negative (ground) leads. When jumping I just always use pins 4 and 6 because it's easier to get a paper clip or my wire lead between those two instead of pins 4 and 5.