Hoping to do new build, feedback appreciated.

Bill_v

Greetings, all!

I've been mulling over getting a new system for some time now; I've been reading tons and tons of posts on diy-street, and researching and trying to get an idea of what a well-balanced system might look like. Since I'm not a rich guy, I'm not looking to get the most uber parts - at the same time I want to get good value for my money, with stable components that will work well together.

Here's what I've specced out. If anyone has any suggestions, or sees any glaring bad choices (or if I've forgotten something critical), please feel free to holler. The last Intel system I built was a Pentium 166, so it's been a while.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks!

Here goes...:

CPU: Intel Dual-Core Xeon E3110 / 3GHz (1333MHz)

CPU Cooler: Zalman 9700LED

http://www.zalman.co.kr/ENG/product/Product_Read.asp?idx=164

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R (Gigabyte website says it's compatible with the Xeon above)

http://www.giga-byte.com/Products/Motherbo...?ProductID=2749

Case: Cooler Master CM 690

http://www.coolermaster.com/products/produ...=detail&id=2908

PSU: Corsair HX620

http://www.corsair.com/products/hx.aspx

RAM: OCZ 2GB PC2-6400 Platinum Revision 2 (OCZ2P800R22GK)

http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memo..._2_dual_channel

Video Card: XFX PV-T88P-YDF4 Geforce 8800GT 512MB

http://www.xfxforce.com/web/product/listCo...ationId=1558705

Optical: LITEON 20X20 DVDRW SATA (20A1S-15)

Hard Drives: 2 x Western Digital 320GB CAVIAR SATA II 7200 RPM 16MB

If i had the cash for a new system, my list would probably look identical to yours. It will be a beast for sure.

Looks Good :D

[EDIT]:

I just thought of something, lol. I know this is a big upgrade and you wont have towant to do it again for a while (well, maybe want to :P, but i see a lot of people go for evga branded video cards because of their 90 day step up program which IMO is pretty sweet. I think BFG is also offering something similar now too. I dont know if that is something you've already considered and passed on? but i figure it was worth it to mention it cause options are nice :)

[/EDIT]

Awesome PC you are going to build there, especially that RAM you picked.:)

Why is it good you say?

Because it's your choices and your money!

Have fun with your new build, Sir.

If you have any problems along the way, we will help for sure.

Let us know how it turns out. :)

[EDIT]:

I just thought of something, lol. I know this is a big upgrade and you wont have towant to do it again for a while (well, maybe want to :P, but i see a lot of people go for evga branded video cards because of their 90 day step up program which IMO is pretty sweet. I think BFG is also offering something similar now too. I dont know if that is something you've already considered and passed on? but i figure it was worth it to mention it cause options are nice :)

[/EDIT]

Yup, I did see the EVGA step-up program. I plan on getting this stuff at a shop down the street, since they have good prices and they have a record of good service with me. It came down to the price being better on the XFX at this store. I can say "what's $25 bucks", but it all adds up. Not to say I couldn't be tempted to go for the EVGA. :)

I think that looks like an outstanding system, and it's apparent that you HAVE done a lot of reading.

Very good choices, each and every one of them.

Thanks!

I learned my lesson after building my 939 machine. If I had known about the street ahead of time, I could have avoided a couple of pitfalls off the bat (knowing the difference between a decent PSU and a lousy one, knowing ahead of time you need good RAM on an NF4 lanparty etc). Lesson learned, so I figured it's good to read posts from people that know what they are doing far more than I do, so I can try and get appropriate stuff on the first try. Which meant lurking the heck out of diy-street for the past 3.5 months, heheh.

BFG's trade-up program is 100 days from invoice date, but is restricted to cards launched after 21-Feb-2008; so unless you went with a 9 series card, the only vendor that would provide the stepup option is eVGA.

Guest YuKoN

lemme tell ya what 25 extra bucks can get you with evga.

I spent that extra dough when i got my 7900GT SC A1 rev card. surprisingly the card lasted for over a year with voltage mod and insane o/c when others rma'd 4 times in a month to get a good one. but eventually it broke down and began artifacting.

I put the stock cooler on and erased my mod- and rma'd the card. sent it out on wednesday- recieved notification of new card shipping out on friday. tuesday rolls around and i am opening the box like a kid at christmas- when i found a nice new 7950gx2 1gb card inside. apparently they didnt have any of my card available and seeing the specs on the rest of my system they sent me something i'd be happy with. :drool:

registered the new card on their site- and my lifetime warranty rolls over to the new card since i got it thru rma. :)

thats what an extra 25 bucks can get you. yes it does add up- but spent in the right place it can be a huge benefit later.

YuKoN,

You won't be the first and you won't be the last, so take this scolding in stride.

Do not post here about how you volt modded a card, overclocked the snot out of it, ruined it and then sent it in for an exchange or a replacement. I do not condone people who knowingly void their mfg. warranty, ruin a component and then expect the mfg. to bear the consequences of their actions.

Overclocking ANY component, volt modding, running components at higher than specified voltages etc. IMMEDIATELY voids the warranty. Now, while I'm all about overclocking the snot out of stuff, I do it with the understanding that if I ruin it then it is MY own fault. Not NewEgg's, not NCIX, not Motherboard Pro, not Tiger Direct, not DFI, MSI, eVGA, Gigabyte or anyone else.

While you are free to do whatever you think is morally right based on your own set of personal values, if it includes ruining computer parts and then sending them back for RMA etc. do not post that here.

Regards,

I've placed the order with a store nearby, and should have this stuff early next week.

I made one change - ordered an Antec Sonata 3 instead of the CM 690. It's got worse cooling I realise, but there are some reasons I won't get in to here as to why I went with that one. Plus I can use the supplied Earthwatts 500 in my parents' Athlon64 build as a replacement. I still went with the Corsair HX620 PSU.

As for as OC goes, this machine will probably stay at stock for at least a year. I need to use this for some work applications, and at 3 GHz it will be much faster than my current rig. Heck I am impressed with my E6300 at work, and that's running @1.86. My view on volt modding etc is that it's definitely a "to each his own" kind of thing, but my own view (and this is just my own view) is that I'd feel funny trying to RMA something I knowingly invalidated the warranty on.

Thanks to everyone for their feedback!

Bill_v

And anyone else that happens upon this thread . . . .

I'm all about extra performance for free (i.e. overclocking) And I am an avid overclocker! But I do so understanding that if I tear something up it's my OWN fault.

If I buy a particular piece of hardware it should perform at the specifications, voltages, clock speeds etc. that the mfg. has stated it will operate at. If I CHOOSE to go beyond those specifications then the consequences of those decisions rest soley upon my shoulders.

It's just plain wrong to overclock the snot out of something and then RMA it when it fails. That is exactly why we ALL pay for that kind of behavior. The mfg. has to make a profit and defective or returned products cuts into that profit. And in the end that is factored into the final cost of everything that we purchase.