9800 Gx2

uneedav8

Personally I think the HD3870X2 is a better choice.....

As much as I would like that to be true, for top end performance the 3870X2 takes a back seat in actual game usage. Hopefully that will change when the new 3870X2 is released.

As much as I would like that to be true, for top end performance the 3870X2 takes a back seat in actual game usage. Hopefully that will change when the new 3870X2 is released.

got to agree..when it comes to performance, I don't see the 3870X2 being able to keep up with this card at all (for now, who knows what will happen down the road)

Now this here is exactly the reason why I am moaning about 3DMark06 so much lately. At a given point the scores just do not add up anymore. It's like you are hitting into a huge wall performance wise. There are two factors here that could influence the score. A) the resolution and B) the processor.

notice how the 3870X2 beats every card in the 3dmark06 bench, but yet fails to beat just about any of the cards in most of the other tests in real games...

here's my biggest complaint with the crappy guru3d graphs...do they have to xxxxing use yellow & orange for everything? I'm not color blind, but I spent 90% of the time looking from the bars to the legend below to figure out which shade of orange or yellow belonged to what card...this is madness as well as nonsense (and sorry guru3d, pure xxxxing LAZINESS or possibly ignorance).

Why couldn't they make each card a distinct color...green for 8800 Ultra, red for 3870x2, yellow for 8800GTX, black for 9800GX2, etc...?

We need the magic back in gaming. The way I see it; consumers are tired of paying 300+ USD for a graphics card that needs to be replaced 12 months later, and most of all they are tired of coughing up a stunning 60 EUR for a game.

yep

What NVIDIA should realize is that the high-end segmented products already became too expensive two years ago. It's nice to have the flagship product, it's nice to have little to no competition in this high-end segment of the market, and surely a product like the GX2 will bring a lot of media coverage, yet that gaming community refuses to spend 500-600 bucks on a product to just play games.

yep yep

other than that, whoever the editor is needs to implement a SPELLING CHECK because while I'm not an elitist (however I am an English/History major to be a high school teacher), I tend to be unable to respect a review that still looks like it was written by a 16 year old who smoked a little weed in the bathroom between classes (both spelling and grammar).

ok /end rant

Guest Retratserif

That is funny. lol.

I too try and at least put my messages across clear. I just started school again after a good fulfilling 11 years off. So I have to finish up this last PC build and find me a good laptop. Which is nice because there are 8800M's out now. I do not think I can go SLI, mainly because I am not going to be playing Crysis in class... lol. But I do want a 8800GTX in it for some Compay of Heroes skirmishes.

I am partial to the GX2 Series "Sandwiched Style" Cards. They perform typically 5% less than what ever they are really made of. So if you have one slot its not so bad to put the best in it. Although if you have 2 slots, why not just get real deal for 150$ less. That and that for some reason GX2 series have been known for driver issues with 8xAF or higher. Which also defeats the purpose of having a uber high res/quality card. Though in time Nvidia may fix that issue with newer driver updates. At least I hope so, because after the 7950 GX2's people still feel burnt, rashed and scared from the lack of support.

Things not to do Nvidia:

Have a good idea and product, but stop driver side support immediately after release.

My buddy that had 2 7950 GX2's and kept trying to get his SLI to work. Later after finally getting productive results he said "I felt like been running backwards through a corn field with my pants down".

I was reading on the evga website and it says that you absolutely need a psu with a 6 pin and an 8 pin connector to run this card and the use of adapters is not recommended. http://www.evga.com/articles/397.asp

Does anyone know if this is true because I want to use the step up program to get a GX2 but I do not want to have to buy a new psu as well.

Does anyone know if this is true because I want to use the step up program to get a GX2 but I do not want to have to buy a new psu as well.

From what I have read about this card, it's positively true.

I ran a 7950 GX2 for a while and that card liked voltage. I don't imagine that the 9800 GX2 will be much different.

Quoted from Anandtech article:

"It is also important to note that these cards come with hefty power requirements and using a PCIe 2.0 powersupply is a must. Unlike the AMD solutions, it is not possible to run the 9800 GX2 with a 6-pin PCIe power connector in the 8-pin PCIe 2.0 socket. NVIDIA recommends a 580W PSU with PCIe 2.0 support for a system with a single 9800 GX2. For Quad, they recommend 850W+ PSUs."

After running a 7950 GX2 for a while, I would rather have a single card solution that runs cooler and performs and is cost effective. My max resolution is 1680x1050. As a matter of fact, I'm running a Samsung 205BW as well.

Right now, there are a lot of very good single card solutions that really kick butt. Flipside, of getting a GX2 is that after using it for a bout a year, one ought to still get half of what you paid for it on EBay.

Well considering the fact that I am going through the step up program through evga the GX2 is my best option atm. Well the other question that I should have asked does anyone think it would be safe to use a 6 pin to 8 pin adapter? The funny thing is that the BFG card in the review at guru3d came with a 6 pin to 8 pin adapter.