Please check signal cable (need help)

^^^

Why? :confused:

QFT

I'd say that it's quite obvious that the PSU is the most likely culprit.

Lift up gently on the rear corner of the video card furthest from the motherboard - no more than an 1/8" - and turn the power on.

That should do the trick.

:confused: WTF :confused: WTF :confused:

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still trying to put my arms around the "Lift up gently on the rear corner of the video card furthest from the motherboard".

I'm not sure I understand exactly what corner that is, and I'm not sure I understand why that would make a difference unless the video card wasn't properly seated to begin with.

Please fill us in.

I'm still trying to put my arms around the "Lift up gently on the rear corner of the video card furthest from the motherboard".

I'm not sure I understand exactly what corner that is, and I'm not sure I understand why that would make a difference unless the video card wasn't properly seated to begin with.

Please fill us in.

Well, OK, rear corner was a bit vague. I was trying to be cryptic on purpose, but apparently, no one else has had this problem but me and ultimus666.

How about, start at the end of the video card where the 6 pin connector attaches. Near the NF4 chipset. Lift upwards gently on the corner furthest from the motherboard, as you are applying some upward pressure, turn the power on. Hold the video card in exactly that position. Watch your computer boot up. Take the tension off the card, you lose the video signal.

Had the EXACT same problem about a year ago when my board was only one year old. Seems that the PCIE x16 slot didn't want to support the weight of my x850xt any longer.

Reseating the video card helped for awhile, one thing led to another, and I was eventually lifting gently on the card gently to get the computer to boot, and then one day, nothing. So I'm rocking the x2 PCIE slot. Hooray.

OK so I finally heard back from the shop I had left my computer at. They did some tests and they diagnosed that the motherboard is in fact the problem. So they've left it up to me to decide what I want to do. I could just get another S939 board but that could be expensive/hard to find (especially if I buy it from them). I could really use some suggestions. I could upgrade but I hadn't planned on spending too much money on this. Any good places to find a cheap S939 board? I'm in Canada so that makes things a bit harder.

I was thinking about maybe switching to LGA775 and getting an Intel Core 2 Duo but I'm not sure how much that would set me back. I wouldn't know which motherboard to get though, but probably one of the lower end cpus since it would still be better than mine.

If you are considering the switch to Socket 775, then any of these Gigabyte boards here would do you well;

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....Intel+P31%2fP35

Pick based on your budget and the feature set you need. They are all similar, but price increases as feature set increases. The DS3R versions have been pretty solid and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend any flavor of that board.

For a CPU, a budget dual core from Intel isn't a bad choice at all. Many of them have plenty of head room for overclocking if you're into that kind of thing. Either the E2160 or the E4500 would be a great choice for a tight budget.

DDR2 RAM pricing is at rock bottom right now. If you're going to do it now is the time.

Here is what I'd propose if I were on a really tight budget;

Motherboard

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813128059 (89.99+shipping)

Processor

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819116036 (69.99 - free shipping)

Memory

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820227269 (91.99+shipping)

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to link directly to other websites, so I'll just post the model name instead of the motherboard that I could get from the store I left my computer with.

AMD64 S939 ASUS A8N-VM/CSM NF430 PCIE $105

I'm not sure if that's worth it? It wouldn't be a permanent solution because I do plan on upgrading within a year, I just wasn't ready to put the money into it right now.

for about $300 shipped you can make the switch.

here are some Asus boards that will work great also. Note on open box items, you may or may not get all the goodies that come with it such as cables ,manuals etc. Best way to find out is call and ask for the shipping weight.

DDR2 memory is cheap.

you don't need to buy the fastest bestest , my ram is better than yours set of RAM. The performance you get for the cheaper ddr2-800 stuff versus cost is exceptional.

low-end C2Ds

hmmm, canadians....