Please check signal cable (need help)

Although when I turn on my PC everything turns on (LEDs, fans, etc) so does that mean the PSU is working or could it still be faulty?

It is entirely possible for it to power on the fans but not have enough juice to power the system.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 other thing to check 1st as I've seen a few cases of weird issues, possibly the MB battery is dead, other than that Its more than likely your psu. Have you tried disconnecting then reconnecting all of the power cables to the board and all devices, just incase ones loose(you could also clean out your case good while your in there)

Might try disconnecting everything that's unnecessary (including case fans) and see if she fires up so you can check the voltages.

Could also try using the other PCI-e slot, I can't imagine one would go bad but it's another though.

Thanks for all the replies so far. I haven't been here for a couple days but I've read your suggestions and I tried unplugging a few things (both optical drives, a couple case fans, turned down the speed on the others) and it still wouldn't start up. I don't know if there is much else I can safely disconnect. Is there anything else I can try? I'm really missing my computer :(

Thanks for all the replies so far. I haven't been here for a couple days but I've read your suggestions and I tried unplugging a few things (both optical drives, a couple case fans, turned down the speed on the others) and it still wouldn't start up. I don't know if there is much else I can safely disconnect. Is there anything else I can try? I'm really missing my computer :(

Minimum build. Clear the CMOS, have only a single stick of memory and your graphics card plugged into the board.

Before that though I would pull the PSU from the computer (or unplug everything from it) and jump start it by shorting out the green wire and any black wire on the 24-pin plug. Turn the psu on then and you should be getting power.

If you don't have a multimeter just pick up a cheap one at a radioshack for 10 bucks or so, you should have one anyways. :)

Use the multimeter to check your 12 volts and 3.3 volts lines on a molex. The black connectors are ground, so stick one probe on a black wire and the other in either of the colored wires, I don't rememebr what color is which, I think yellow is typically the 12v line. You can hook up a bunch of non-critical stuff to load this up too, some hard drives and fans should do the trick.

Jumpstart guide

Shows how test voltages using a molex connector (scroll down)

Basically I'm pretty sure your power supply is dead. If no fans turn no matter how many drive and hard disks you plug in it could be completely dead (seems unlikely). I imagine it'll probably kick on, but if you don't see 12 volts coming out of it with such a low load it's probably toast. Those Noisetakers were never the best power supplies in the world and I'll bet your Ultra was far too much for it to handle, it probably ran full-tilt whenever you gamed and it just couldn't do that for long.

Thanks a lot for the in depth replies techno. What you're saying makes sense, I can't see what else it could be. It just stopped working one day suddenly when I hadn't made any changes to my computer. I've checked to make sure everything is properly connected and I can't find anything loose. Jump starting the PSU and checking the voltage with a multimeter seems like it might be a bit above me. I'll do what I can though. Do you have any recommendations for which PSU I should get to replace this one?

to jump start a PS, jump the green wire to any black wire (ground, i use a properly fashioned paperclip). however, when you measure the volts you have to remember that you are checking the PS output WITHOUT any load on it, just not the best way to determine the PS's overall condition....

i personally don't like Enermax PS's, but it has been awhile since i have used one, maybe they have improved the output a bit, i found the volts to be somewhat on the low acceptable side, the DFI's just eat up power cycles at startup....

good luck

Do you have any recommendations for which PSU I should get to replace this one?

Tough call with your Ultra. The Antec Trio 550 and Corsair 520HX would be enough, I've used both on an overclocked C2D + 8800GTX system. The Ultra is around the same draw, but you should probably get a step up above those.

My recommendation would be the Corsair 620HX. Very quiet, very powerful. There are some that are a bit cheaper if you have to go that route, but I think this is the best buy. You can find it under a 100 bucks if you get lucky with rebates and sales.

Tough call with your Ultra. The Antec Trio 550 and Corsair 520HX would be enough, I've used both on an overclocked C2D + 8800GTX system. The Ultra is around the same draw, but you should probably get a step up above those.

My recommendation would be the Corsair 620HX. Very quiet, very powerful. There are some that are a bit cheaper if you have to go that route, but I think this is the best buy. You can find it under a 100 bucks if you get lucky with rebates and sales.

Technodanvan,

Whats your opinion on the CORSAIR TX650W 650W? As good as the 620HX?

Thanks in advance.

I'm not Techno, but I do have experience with the Corsair TX series power supplies. If you can do without modular cabling, the TX is just as good a choice as the HX. (rado types faster than I do :))