Please check signal cable (need help)

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm for an extra $50 I could get an E6550 instead of an E4500....worth it?

You get an extra 2MB of cache and a little higher clock with the E6550. So your question would come down to whether that extra cache and slight bump in core speed gain you anything in the majority of things you use your computer for. And then of course the $50 dollar question is if it's worth that extra $50 bucks for your particular wants and needs. In the end you may be the the only person that can truly answer that question because it's your $50 bucks.

Either processor would work just fine, both have good overclocking headroom if you're into that kind of thing.

I think this is what I've decided on. Any comments before I place my order? Everything looks good right?

OCZ Platinum XTC PC2-6400 4GB 2X2GB DDR2-800 CL5-4-4-15 DDR2 240PIN Dual Channel Memory Kit

Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L ATX LGA775 P35 1333FSB 1PCI-E16 3PCI-E1 3PCI SATA2 Sound GBLAN Motherboard

Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 Dual Core Processor LGA775 Conroe 2.33GHZ 1333FSB 4MB Retail

Looks like a kickin' system to me. Good luck. You'll be thoroughly impressed when you make the jump to Intel dual core. It will rock your socks.

If you plan on overclocking the snot out of the system though, you might consider a 2gb RAM kit rated at PC8000 speeds to make sure you don't hit a ceiling because of your memory.

If you don't plan on overclocking then the OEM cooler will suffice, but they have gotten pretty crummy as far as quality goes. You know, my thinking on that issue is that you are going to invest a fair bit of money in your upgrade, why not just spend another $30-40 bucks and get a high quality aftermarket cooler? I know, easy to say when it's your money that I'm spending :)

Are there any particular steps I need to take when switching the mobo/CPU? I should probably format my HDD and reinstall Windows once everything installed right? If so, should I format both my hard drives or just the one with windows installed on it?

Well I've installed everything, hit the power button....and nothing happens. I checked your "My Computer Don't Work" link wevsspot and I tried everything...no luck. Any idea what the problem might be? This really, really sucks.

I tried reseating everything, triple-checked that everything is plugged in properly. Cleared the CMOS. Tried the RAM in different slots. Made sure the power bar I'm using works. The only thing I can think of is that maybe I didn't plug in everything to the Front Panel Header properly, although I tried a couple things and nothing worked. The labels on the wires for the P180 case don't match up exactly with the slots on this mobo, and I can't tell if I have them reversed or not. I think I tried every combination though. All I need to connect is the Power Switch, Reset Switch and the System Power LED headers right? Besides that, what else could it be? Someone told me it could just be a faulty motherboard. How likely is that though?