[Resolved] Ultra high pitch noise from rig

TheReaper

I did but it's just impossible, I even tried a funnel and a stethescope, but it seems to be coming from everywhere, must be a certain freq. when I turn my head, at certain angles it is quieter but still brain damaging. lol

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, the only thing I can think of is the worst thing, take it to a pc tech and pay them to sort it out. But I know from prior experience that it will cost more than just to buy a new mobo/psu etc. Need to think of a way to locate the source.

What about a circuit tester?

I've read some reports of the fan on the 8800 (G92) cards making contact with the plastic shroud causing a squealing or screeching noise at certain RPM's.

not to thread jack but I just bought an 8800GT and was wondering wth that noise was... lol how do I get rid of it?

Hope the fan blades or plastic shroud eventually wear down and the noise goes away.

Or, replace the stock cooler with something aftermarket. Alternatively I guess you could take a dremel to the offending piece if you could get the shroud assembly apart. But then there goes your warranty. I'm guessing it's caused when the fan floats in the bearings. There's usually some up/down play in the fan shaft.

Not very many attractive options one way or another :(

It is very unlikely to be a fan. If like you are saying it is very high pitched, like a TV, then the most likely suspect is the power supply. All switched mode power supplies are designed to run at frequencies beyond the audible range of most mortals at 20kHz or higher. The younger you are the more likely you are to hear it. MAcarter02 if you have just fitted the 8800GT, which will load the PSU substantially more than the 7900GT, this again says power supply. Have you got another power supply you can try?

Regards

Paul

Sound's gone for me. I actually got in there and felt where the resistance was in the fan (there wasn't much) and sort of nudged the fan away from that side.

Did that before powering up today, and haven't heard a squeak yet. TY so much wev. I was freaking pissed.

Man,

I just don't know what to tell you about this TR. I'm out of easy ideas and easy fixes for this one. It's hard to troubleshoot when we can't even pinpoint the source of the noise.

Hopefully someone smarter than me will come along and give you some good ideas.

Good luck.