[Resolved] Ultra high pitch noise from rig

TheReaper

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the 2 seconds I heard I doubt it's a fan, sounds more like interference from electrical components. Do you have a lot of stuff running on that circuit, could be some crosstalk from a power hungry appliance. Or it maybe a bad wire on something in your PC.

I have a mains trip-switch but no surge stoppers etc on outlet. I usually use the pc and there's nothing else electrical on in the house except the refridgorator and freezer.

So when the pc is on nothing else in the room is on, and only the kitchen appliences.

It's a nasty noise as you can hear. sometimes when the LED flashes quickly one time for HDD activity the sound gets a second where it changes, it either goes off for a split second or another different pitch sound is added on top...but only for a split second.

That could be either the hard drive causing it, the PSU from the additional load or it could be the appliances in the kitchen. Technically all major appliances are supposed to be on their own circuits, but most houses I've worked on, especially older ones, aren't setup that way. That refridgerator could be on the same line and you wouldn't know unless you test your breakers; see what shuts off where when you flip them.

There are breakers for: downstairs lights, upstairs lights, downstairs sockets, upstairs sockets, kitchen cooker, and main/all.

The downstairs and main/all are the ones that kill the pc when tripped.

I tried it with the refridgerator and freezer unplugged but the noise remains.

I am going to go buy one replacement conponent at a time to try eliminate the noise, I replaced the psu and hdd recently but didn't help, may be a coincidence that the psu was secondhand, which of all conponents is wisest to replace first?

ok i looked up your motherboard on newegg so i could look at a picture of the mobo layout. http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowImage.as...tel+Motherboard Do you see the 4 coil's (little round thing that stick out that has copper wire wrapped around them, 2 of them are above the Sata connector's, and 2 is to the left of the memory slots. Is your sound coming from one of these coil's. (power running through the copper wire causing the thing inside it to vibrate. This THING does it on my DFI mobo when its powered down.....Excuse my techno language. :D