[Resolved] Ultra high pitch noise from rig

TheReaper

I think its just the power running through your equiptment and you have sensative hearing. Then again if you never noticed it before with anyone else's computers or yours, then I'm not sure.

Like I live with my Grandmother and she doesn't turn the TV off sometimes, just turns it to input, as soon as I walk in the house I can hear/feel that the TV is on even though it is a black screen.

I know you tried to pinpoint it w/o success, but has it always done this? maybe your computer is too quiet and lets you hear this frequency, like my fans whet turned to max make a audible noise, they kinda whine, not just the air movement/fan noise

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No it started doing it about a month ago I think, I up the fan spedds to drown it out but I can still hear it, my brother can hear it to.

Thanks wevsspot, I tried all you said and it did help narrow things down, thanks. might just have to go buy one component at a imt to eliminate the finallists, CPU, PSU, Mobo. PSU is the cheapest of the three so I'll start there.

I did just notice something... When the LED on my modem flashes "receive" the noise changed or rather added a different pitch noise for a split second with the LED. That being said the noise is present when the modem is off/unplugged from power. Could it be the noise is coming from the ethernet on the mobo?

Just a quick question because i didnt see you mention it. Have you brought your components back to stock settings to see if the whining persists? Or have all your tests been at the overclock in your sig?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I've stumbled upon your post, as I've recently had issues with high pitch sounds as well.

Tell me, is it JUST your system you're hearing these sounds from? or have you noticed other things making more high pitch noise than before?

I had a sudden on-set of super-hearing it seems. There are many variables, and I'm trying to figure out why, but I now seem to be able to hear high pitch sounds everywhere. My TV I've been using for years now drives me nuts! My new computer [E8400, Nine Hundred case, 700W Tagan PSU, 2xX1950 Radeon (old external crossfire), P5K-E Wi-Fi AP mobo, vx2240w monitor, 2x250GB SATA Barricuda HDD] makes high pitch noise too (not as noticable as the TV, but definately there). And to make matters worse, my workplace is PACKED with computers, servers, and anything else electronic.

Until about 2.5 weeks ago, I could maybe hear a an old CRT TV when it turned on, but usually wouldn't notice it after a few seconds or a minute. Now, the sound drills into my brain. When I finish watching some TV with the g/f, and try to go to bed, I can hear the high pitch ringing in my ears. (comparable to being at a concert and hearing the ringing, but much higher pitch).

A few things that I've read about which may be factors: I was sick with a sinus infection -- possible damage or cloggage of some sort. I went on strong antibiotics (Biaxin I think it was called), and accidently took a double-dose for my first one (I started hearing the noise just as I finished my perscription I think). Pharmacist said shouldn't be an issue, I might just taste MORE of the regular bile taste that stuff has as a side-effect. Often when I get sick, I get braunchitus (sp?) -- which I believe is chronic as I get it often (I've read that there was a study on people with braunchial asthma whom can hear in the 16, 18 and 20khz range). As well, I pretty much just built my computer, and right around this time I just got my two SATA HDD's, first ones I've ever owned, and due to the case it's very open for sound to escape. Oh, and I'm unfortunately someone whom cracks their joints quite often, including the neck, which I have heard can cause Tinnitus.

So for me, it's going to be tough to narrow down why I can hear these high pitch noises so suddenly... But maybe you can identify with one or more of these variables.

If it was ONE thing that I could hear, ok, it's deffective. But because I can hear the noise varying in volume as I walk around my house and/or office, I think I've just developed a keen ear for electronics -- which kindda sucks as I'm a computer engineering student planning on becoming a hardware developer.

I hope this helps!

--Qo

Well it is totally freaky that you say that as I suffer bad headaches/migraines and I also CRACK all my joints including my neck to relieve pressure and have sinus issues and if I move my eyes side to side very rapidly I can hear the distinction of pitch. We seem to have the exact same condition.

Yes I can hear the TV but the particular noise is definately from the pc. It is a total

killer and does cause pain.

Still haven't narrowed it to a particular component yet. Changed a few bits out but it remains.

Thanks for sharing, it seems we are not alone in our suffering.

Well, after doing some additional research, I see that the medicine I was taking, and had just finished when I started hearing the noises, DOES in fact list tinnitus and/or hearing loss/ringing as side effects...

So adds a little more to the confusion. I'm hoping this isn't a long-term condition, but it very well may be. Heck, maybe we're just ahead of the curve of an evolution of mankind. ;)

Have you been to the doctor about this hearing issue? I plan to soon as I've been told it's a good idea. Tinnitus and other issues similar to it could be evidence of many things, including high blood pressure, or even tumors (in the neck or head). As for the neck cracking, I'm going to try VERY hard to resist it and see if it helps, I would suggest you do the same. I realize how very hard it is, as it seems pressure builds up until you relieve it (sometimes a crack will, real good, but sometimes it seems to worsen the pressure). I've also found a term for this, and I believe it could rightly be referred to as a tic (not tick, like the insect). Look it up on a medical term site or wiki it. It's a word to describe a semi-invoulintary 'twitch' or quirk of sorts. I used to crack my elbows regularly, stopped that, then it was my right wrist (looked like I was trying to speed away on a motorcycle. :P), stopped that, now days it's my back/neck. I think it's a psychological thing, probably more common amongst geeks (with the bouncy legs while gaming and all). But something that could be causing issues, I've had a type of semi-hard syst (sp?), or growth happen on my wrist when I used to crack it a lot (may be called a ganglian or something like that). grew to a size where it hurt if I hit it on something, but one time I hit it hard enough, and it popped. Made me feel sick to my stomach thinking of what just popped into my system, but apparently these things aren't all that uncommon.

Keep me posted if you find anything else out please, and I'll do the same for you.

--Cory

NOW YOU'RE READING MY MIND... I too crack my RIGHT wrist and BOUNCE MY LEGS, mostly the right one all the time. ARE YOU MY TWIN? ;p

I will do some research and keep you upto date.

Just in case you find out something important my email: oz10AThotmailDOTcom

Austen

DON'T POST YOU EMAIL ADDY UNLESS YOU WANT A TON OF SPAM.

Stupid idea here........

What about taking a Mic. the headset that everyone has novadays will do just fine, and going over the varios components while in MSN mic-tets which shows volume level ? that way you can see where the sound is the strongest, that would most probably be the sorse of it.