8800 GTS Temps

Mike1161

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In most cases modifying the hardware in any way will void the warranty (and more often than not this includes after market cooling solutions also).

This little blurb is most often found in the fine print under warranty conditions or rma service.

You can also try these drivers. I'm using them and i'm not having any problems. Nvidea Drivers

Also, I had lockups and crashes too. I found that i had conflicting settings in nvideas new control panel and the in-game settings. I set aa af to application controlled and turned off vertical synch in both the game and CP and now i have no problems at all.

Well it seems that things are now running smoothly after doing all of the tests and changing/reinstalling the drivers.

Regardless I still bought the HR 03-Plus and plan to install it shortly. I seem to have missplaced my Artic Silver and wondered if I should get more or just use the thermal paste that came with the VGA cooler. What do you guys think? The AS costs 5.00 plus 4.00 for shipping (as I don't know of a local place to get it) and will take at least three day to get here. Is it worth the money and time?

I actually think yes it is worth it, if you plan to run at stock speed then its not really necessary but it can mean anything from a 2 to 5 degree C difference maybe even more and under load that could be the difference from stable and unstable. Plus one little tube will last ages, I bought one 2 or 3 years ago and I change it every few months when im cleaning out the dust and there is still half a tube left.

There are reviews of arctic coolings new tim called MX2, and they claim it's just a little better than AS5, and it doesn't have any metal in it. You might want to check that out. I would have bought some, but i have a 12gram tube of as5 and i already got my ASceramique for chipsets and pwm's.

Yeah, AS5 is still my favorite. Just because of the silver in it. I'm really tempted to use it on chipsets, (have in the past w/o repercussions) but have the ceramique Travis urged me to use on the chipsets and especially pwm's.

Tim w/o any mineral substance kinda turns me off.

Update:

I installed the HR-03 Plus last night. With the fan it takes up the space of three cards on my MOB. Good news is that I don't use them, bad news is that there is now no extra room anywhere.

Temps came down 5-7 C on the GPU from mid 50s to high 40s at idle which is less than I expected. But the under load numbers dropped from high 60s to low 70s down to high 50s, about 10-13 C.

Two things to note on the HR-03 is that RAM sinks and PWM heat sinks adhesive is junk. The stuff barely holds them in place and I fear that one could fall off and short out something. Just might have to use something stronger. The other item is that the Zelman fan has a three prong plug but the XFX 8800 has a four prong plug so I had to hook the fan directly to the PSU as there was no room to get to a fan plug on the MOB.

Now I need to find a temp monitoring program that won't conflict with other programs like RivaTuner does. I tried speedfan but it won't detect my GPU.